BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Those Parents Who Are Old School... Is there a PDF User Guide for the Advancement Process?

Hello,

I know there is a 30-minute video posted for training on How to Use ScoutBook for Troop advancements.

I myself am a Director of Cloud Development (software engineer) and get it. Yes, it’s intuitive.

However, I have inherited an old school parent as the Advancements Chair who I want to try to give a chance to fulfill her role before replacing her. It’s never easy to “let go” of a volunteer. In my best effort to give her the benefit of the doubt, and exhaust all resources, is there PDF user guide or PPT of training for how to use ScoutBook for Troop advancements?

Yes, I also searched the forums and see a lot of that material has been taken offline. I just want to double check, in case my late night Google searching is otherwise compromised.

Thank you,
YIS,
Joseph

@JosephKubon - if this person is as old school as it seems then I would personally not put time or effort into it. No amount of work will change it. Remember that tradition is what drives them. We have always done it this way.

1 Like

All of the official help resources for Scoutbook are at help.scoutbook.com.

2 Likes

You can find the advancement specific resources at: https://help.scoutbook.com/article-categories/advancement-tracking/

As opposed to removing the advancement person all together, could you partner them with someone who is more comfortable with the technology?

2 Likes

@JosephKubon - I would try what Jacob has suggested. That may help, but do be mindful that as I said some will just not want to change as it is not what they are used to. having experienced this many times in various organizations the effort in fighting it is better spent elsewhere.

1 Like

All good comments Stephen, Ed, and Jacob.

You are all spot on.

I’ve been a Scout leader for 12 years… Den Leader, Cubmaster, Scoutmaster. I’ve been to Wood Badge. I’ve formed both a new Pack and a new Troop for Alamo Area Council. I’m 4 days into being the “acting” Committee Chair to help reform the committee and get it moving with some cadence.

Ideally, yes, I’d simply prefer a new person to handle it. I even have a parent, with 4 years experience from her Pack days, watching the car wreck with every COH from the sidelines. But that mom doesn’t want drama in a “take over” and the current mom, who still feels it was “dropped in her lap”, doesn’t want to resign. Right now, I’m establishing expectations and hoping the current mom realizes ALL that she’s accountable for handling will have her take this opportunity to say I’ve served for a year, let someone else do it.

Thanks everyone.

YIS,
Joseph

1 Like

You know, as the new CC, you could roll out the idea that ALL committee positions have term limits, to foster fresh insight.

I have to say that this idea drives me nuts. If there are a line of people interested in every job, this can work (or be a disaster, depending on the skill level of the incoming/outgoing volunteers). However, if there isn’t anyone interested in the job, “terming-out” folks has the potential to say “you may or many not still have lots to contribute, but you’re done now”. I’m aware that some councils have policies like this for district- and council-level volunteer positions, and it plays merry havoc when nobody wants the job, or when the person you planned to succeed you becomes unavailable.

Encouraging getting new folks involved through succession-planning I support (and try to implement). Mandatory term-limits make me cringe, because it means throwing the good out with the bad, particularly if you have skilled volunteers who are willing to do a thankless job nobody else is willing to do. If there’s nobody to take over, does the position just fail open? Do you default to keeping the same person? Is anybody willing to do the job enough to force terming-out? If not, does that risk volunteer responses like “Are you saying nobody doing this job is better than me doing it?”

1 Like

It’s not a perfect approach, but if you want someone to move out of a position and want to avoid the conflict, you’re really limiting your options.

Fair enough. I guess I’d rather deal with one conflict, even with a valued long-time volunteer, than set up a system that may come back to bite me later.

My thought is that maybe the job can be split up the Advancement Chair responsibility to some extent, and have a new person be responsible for the “Scoutbook” side of things, and let the other person continue to manage the purchasing, and coordination for Courts of Honor. New AC coordinates with unit leadership to make sure things are signed-off in Scoutbook, and that POs/advancement reports are generated in a timely fashion, and the existing AC takes it from there in terms of getting things purchased, sorted and distributed. Maybe the new AC can help the existing AC become sufficiently Scoutbook qualified that they resume full duties and the new person moves on to another scope.

Alternatively, you could let it ride as a team job for a while, and slip in “Hey, how is Bob coming along as your Assistant Advancement Chair? I ask because I was thinking that it would be great if I could talk you into getting involved with new family coordination for the troop. Would you be interested? Do you think Bob is ready to handle Advancement Chair on his own?”

1 Like

“You go to war with the army you have.” - Rumsfeld

You might have your seasoned person chew on https://www.scouting.org/resources/guide-to-advancement/ and you, the SM, and the scouts work on digitizing those handbooks.

It’s taken all of us adult leaders in the troop to get on board to Scoutbook like a bunch of blind guys figuring out an elephant! Fortunately others have done most of the heavy lifting while the old SM and I are on the back of the learning curve. (I logged my first sign-off of a scout just last week!)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.