Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.

Scouting Forums

Tomahawk Range

So I took my Sons to a Ax throwing venue last night for Bday. Got me wondering could I bring troop here (not a bar).

GSS says - Knife and Tomahawk Throwing
These are age-appropriate activities for Scouts BSA members and Venturers
following the Sweet 16 of BSA Safety.

Sweet 16 - https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/sweet16/

So the Venues staff is trained and insured and someone sits over you the whole time.

Thoughts? Is a BSA Range Master needed?

If I’m not mistaken, the only time a Range Master is required is when it’s related to archery or firearms. Assuming I’m correct I think you are OK to go.

I’d talk to your council shooting sports director to be sure.

I 've always understood any shooting sports had to be conducted on a council range with a BSA Rangemaster. Tomahawk throwing is covered in the BSA national shooting sports manual, at least the version I have (Chapter 12).

I think you should be OK since the venue is providing the trained staff.

From Boy Scouts of America Shooting Sports Manual (Chapter 12: Other Shooting Sports for All Program Levels; page 99):
“A range master must supervise the range for all activities described in this chapter.”

Chapter 12 covers, among other things, wrist rockets (slingshots), catapults, balloon launchers, rockets, and tomahawk throwing.

As long as the venue is supervising the range, I think you are fine.

1 Like

Rule #1, Don’t ask for a rule!

You’ve read the GSS – do what it says.

From what I can tell across the internet, you are doing your due diligence. But … there could be something about the staff that raises your safety concerns. Have them correct it or explain to the scouts that you will look for an outfitter who does their due diligence in real life as well as on paper.

Without bashing too much - BSA rules on anything that flies is far from clearly communicated. But… tomahawk is listed in the shooting sports manual. If you are taking your troop then there shouldn’t be any problem. If they enjoy it - it is relatively low cost program you can incorporate. You can purchase the tomahawks fairly inexpensive and build targets if you have the storage and space to use them.

But I see no reason to go ask permission of the professionals. The shooting sports manual can be found here:

Be aware that the program specific guides seem to have been written by someone who only half way read the shooting sports manual. Oh, and whoever wrote that clearly hasn’t actually worked with youth in ages.

Not sure why, the shooting sports manual does NOT say that. Firearms shooting have to be done on an approved range. And some councils may not approve private ranges. Our council sends a member of the shooting sports committee out to inspect ranges and approve them regularly.

Conversations with some of our Rangemasters.

Fair point. It might be council-specific in our case. I’ve never harassed them about why.

This is only true for Cub Scouting:

Cub Scout Shooting Sports is available at District and Council Events only.

Archery, BB gun shooting, and slingshot shooting are restricted to day camps, Cub Scout/Webelos Scout long term camps, council-managed family camping programs, or council activities where there are properly trained supervisors and where all standards for BSA shooting sports are enforced.

(from https://www.scouting.org/outdoor-programs/shooting-sports/cub-scout-shooting-sports/)

Looking at the BSA Shooting Sports web site, it appears that troops & crews are able to conduct their own program, provided they have properly trained leadership.

1 Like

@DaveBoring does bring up a good point. Technically, for Cub Scouts bb gun and archery must be at council approved “events” which I understand our council is typical in approving all events at their ranges. As far as I know the district twilight (or day) camps all get approval for BB and archery in our area as well. Slingshots (or wrist rockets) do NOT require any approval for range and can be done with qualified supervision.

For Scout BSA, firearms must be at an approved range. My council allows us to go to any public range and the shooting sports committee approves other ranges after sending a Chief RSO out to inspect the range. But archery, slingshots, knives, and tomahawks don’t require pre-approved ranges.

I know Longhorn Council has an event every year call the Highland Games. Caber toss, stone throw, hammer toss/throw, axe throw, etc are all included. I’m new to the Troop level, but Cubs were allowed to watch in the years I was involved in Cub Scouting. I’m interested to get involved (I’m a NRA certified RSO) and see what Longhorn requires. Until I see those requirements, I don’t have anything to add to this discussion, except that there is a Council that does that event (Axe throwing) that you might pick their brain for guidance.

Well I am LHC - and I have the go from them as long as the company to hire is certified


This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.