BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Training code changes

Just had a tiger den leader complete CS19 2 weeks ago. When I go to scout sync it it does not register that she has completed any training and shows different codes. With the new leader training that just came out did the codes also change and if so when is scoutbook updating them?

From the March 2019 Scoutbook Blog:

Scoutbook.com – Training course completed information
Scoutbook is not the training tracker for the BSA any longer (and will not be updated). Please refer to https://my.Scouting.org for official training tracking. Scoutbook will soon remove all but YPT and Position Trained from Scoutbook and replace with links to https://my.Scouting.org training center and reports. There are multiple advantages to this change to one source of training information. Among these are having Training reports for all your positions, council, district and unit; having Training reports for your units; receiving Training reports that roll up; and Training reports for the different units that you manage.

Use Training Manager at https://my.scouting.org for official training reports.

1 Like

General question: I have some leaders who did not complete their training last year and have partial completion of SCO_2xx series classes pre 1/1/2019. It appears that classes now have new designations: SCO_4XX. My question is do these leaders with partiality completion have to take all the classes over again to be 100% trained? There is no Rosetta Stone to correlate the equivalent SCO_2xx to SCO_4xx classes and assume that they will need to retake classes. Please advise…

The BSA announced in December 2018 that position training would be changing on January 1, 2019 and anyone who had not completed position training by December 31, 2018 would need to start over with the new courses.

Until the training records are removed from Scoutbook, there is a work around - manually enter the classroom training that matches the completed current modules. They on the Scoutbook report, they will show as trained.

In Scoutbook you may have a person doing more than one position in your unit and your training report can show whether they are trained for each one. The My.Scouting report is limited to one position per unit for each person. It is not known at this time whether each of a person’s multiple positions in scoutbook will show a trained patch or not.

In reference to:

I do not know what you mean by “multiple positions in Scoutbook”. Both of my registered non-unit BSA positions are shown as “Trained” in “my.Scouting Tools > Menu > My Dashboard (My Training) > Requirements”, but only my Merit Badge Counselor positing show in Scoutbook. (I do not have a unit position)

Which “My Scouting report” are you referring to? Key-3 unit leaders have access to the my.Scouting “Training Manager” tool which has many detailed and summary reports.

At the district, sub-district and unit levels, a Trained Leaders Report icon is available on the Trained Leaders dashboard. It produces a report of each member’s trained leader status in the organization.

(The unit key-3 leaders do not have the unit menu list shown on the left in the above image.)

In one unit in my district there are 2 people each one person with 2 positions listed in the PDF report available on the detailed report page (row 2 &3 and 9 & 10 in the following image).

2019-06-08 5;41PM PDT misread corrected.

I use Scoutbook with one pack.

All our leaders are listed with all their positions of responsibility. Some have only one; others have two; one has three. Required basic training varies for each position. The Scoutbook Trained Leaders Report shows each person & position & training; one line for each person & position. At a glance, I can see who is not trained for a particular position they are doing. Our Assistant Cubmaster / Assistant Webelos Den Leader / Committee Member is trained in all her positions.

I have been told My.Scouting allows a person only one position per unit, with the exception of the COR dual registering.

Our My.Scouting training report shows our Assistant Cubmaster as trained. However, there is no way to display whether she is trained in any other position within our unit. I have to manually check her completions to determine if she is trained as Assistant Den Leader or Committee Member.

I don’t understand how your image can be showing 2 people, each with 2 positions within the same unit, neither having a COR position.

Bryan on Scouting: Can a volunteer serve in multiple positions within a unit?

1. This is getting more interesting.
  2. The article Jennifer cited is from 2016. What has changed?
  3. Lion Guide: In my example, looking at the training report (training status) spreadsheet I see positions listed under programs: Lion, Cub Scouts, and Cub Scouting. The Lion pilot has been completed . The “Lion Guide” position has been changed to Lion Den Leader (with the same duties) per Bryan on Scouting: After roaring success, Lions will move from pilot to full-time part of Cub Scouting, of February 14, 2018. The is also now a Welcome! New Lion and Tiger Den Leader, 510-233, 2018 Printing,b PDF, which specifies the training as the new CS19 onlline training modules. This may or may not be a registration error. I do not know if BSA databases were updated for calendar year 2019 or not. This person is also registered as the Unit Chaplain.
  4. Unit Chaplain: Scouts BSA program update correction updated March 12, 2019, to requirement #4 for Eagle Scout the Scouts BSA Handbook includes "Chaplain Aide (and presumably Chaplain in support of the Chaplain Aide) in a Scout troop, a Venturing crew, and a Sea Scout ship. --I think this functional position is now showing in Training Manager reports because there are position-specific training modules for the unit chaplain in the positions trained requirements dated 3/7/2019, p. 11:
    SCO_1200 CHAPLAIN ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
    SCO_1201 RELIGIOUS EMBLEMS AND AWARDS
    SCO_1202 INTERFAITH CONSIDERATIONS
    TOTAL TIME: 62 MINS
    An advanced outdoor weekend-long course was released on May 7,2018. Although the Unit Chaplain might be registered as a unit committee member (MC), the committee training does not appear to be related to the chaplain’s role and duties.
  5. Row 9 and 10 are not the same person. My reading error.
  6. For another unit I have the one person showing as both Den Leader and Lion Guide:
  7. I will have to investigate further . I am not sure yet if this is program changes vs. positiion training history v.s. old computer programs, but it might be…

William,

I think Lion Guide and Unit Chaplain are both considered committee members. So this is really just the same committee member taking on two committee responsibilities.

But I’m not sure. The biggest reason I think that is because my proposed explanation allows for the real-life outcome of that person holding both positions.

Yours in Scouting,

Petrer

Lion Den Leader (formerly called Lion Guide) is a den leader.

https://www.scouting.org/programs/cub-scouts/den-meeting-resources/lion-resources/

I don’t see anything to indicate that the Unit Chaplain is automatically a member of the unit committee. Units could probably decide to make the Unit Chaplain a member of the committee. Either way, the Unit Chaplain has specific training that is different from Committee Member training:

SCO_1200 Chaplain Roles and Responsibilities
SCO_1201 Religious Emblems and Awards
SCO_1202 Interfaith Considerations

There is a chart under Position-Specific (Role-Based) Courses
Click on “More Information” (pdf)

Unit Chaplain is on page 11.

Jennifer,

I haven’t seen anything that indicated a Lion guide or pack chaplain are MCs either. It was a guess.

Part of my inspiration for the guess that that a Lion guide was not considered a direct contact leader as shown in the post above. Prior to 2018, Lions had no den leader. The Lion guide was an adviser to help adults. It seems to me that it wasn’t simply a name change from Lion guide to Lion den leader. The responsibilities and expectations are much different. Lion den leaders actually deliver the Lion program to the Scouts.

I saw the Lion guide as similar to the former den leader coaches and Tiger group coaches. When Tigers were integrated into the pack and became dens, they just got a den leader coach. I believe these coaches were MCs. Eventually, this idea was scrapped and replaced with the pack trainer (about 2006?), who I’m certain is an MC.

Pack trainers need to be trained as pack committee members and take additional training in order to be considered trained. They should be filling the role formerly handled by coaches including, starting in 2018, for Lion dens.

Basically, everything adds up to ion guides having been MCs, but I don’t see it in writing from any reliable source.

Yours in Scouting,

Peter

Based on the Lion Guide and Parent Orientation (PowerPoint for the Lion pilot program), the Lion Guide was an experienced den leader. Lion Dens are a bit different from other dens, because it has a shared leadership model, where the Lion Guide leads initial den meetings and outings. After that, Lion adult partners are supposed to take turns leading den meetings and outings.

When the BSA took the Lion program out of pilot, they changed the name Lion Guide to Lion Den Leader, but the responsibilities did not change. Their role is still to facilitate and engage families so that each family takes a turn leading one den meeting and outing.

Bryan on Scouting: After roaring success, Lions will move from pilot to full-time part of Cub Scouting

Lion Den Leaders are direct contact leaders who work directly with Lion Scouts, although their role / responsibilities are a bit different from other den leaders. Pack Trainers do not normally work directly with Cub Scouts - their primary responsibility is adult leader training.

1 Like

Looking at the official Cub Pack Committee structure at scouting.org says the Cubmaster and Den Leaders aren’t ex officio committee members.

1 Like

Position Codes

The Lion Guide position code was LL. (not unit committee member)

The Den Leader position code is DL. (cannot be a unit committee member)

The Committee Member position code for all traditional units is MC. The Post Committee Member position code is PMC.

The Unit Religious Emblems Coordinator position code is REU.
2015 Scoutbook Bug Report is germane. (checking)

Unit Chaplain (checking)

Basic Position-specific Training Codes

(per my.Scouting Training Manager tool reports)

2019/06/11 Training Requirements for Den Leader (DL) and Lion Guide (LL) are the same in the BSA training database.

Mandatory Training: Online: SCO_800, Y01

Plus classroom C42
or online (15 modules):
SCO_450, SCO_451, SCO_452, SCO_453, SCO_454, SCO_455, SCO_456, SCO_457, SCO_460, SCO_461, SCO_462, SCO_463, SCO_464, SCO_465, SCO_466

Thanks for the chart, Steve. The fact that Lion guide and pack chaplain aren’t on the chart doesn’t really tell us anything. The pack trainer is not on the chart either.

Lion Guide was renamed to Lion Den Leader. Lion Den Leader is on the chart.

Pack Trainer used to be a member of the Pack Committee. I do not know if it still is or not (I assume that it is, although not all packs have one). I would expect the position to be listed in the Cub Scout Leader Book (I do not have a current copy).

I cannot find information that says whether or not a Unit Chaplain is a member of the committee or not. In many cases, the unit chaplain is also the unit’s executive officer / institution head. Depending on the circumstances, I think the Unit Chaplain could be a member of the committee.

Unit chaplain may or may not be a committee member according to the Manual for Chaplains and Chaplain Aides. So, that’s entirely up to the Chartered Organization to include them on the committee or exclude them. For what it’s worth, we’re chartered by a local church, so we haven’t assigned anyone to be the troop chaplain; we coordinate with the pastor and the deacons as needed.

would someone close this thread. i asked a simple question. got my answer.