Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Transfering scouts

I lost a scout. I ended their time as a webelo so that I could put them in the troop. It wouldn’t let me put him in the troop first so I lost him. How do I find him to get him into the troop? I swear I did this before and it was really easy, what did I do wrong?

2 Likes

There was some change, and I can’t get the “old” process to work reliably, either.

If you still have the scout’s BSA ID, the easiest way for the troop to acquire the scout is for them to “Transfer in Scout” from My Dashboard → My Units → Unit Roster. If not, the next best option might be to walk the parent through adding a membership in the troop, which should just need troop approval to take effect.

Obviously, transfer paperwork submitted to council is also required, but I’m sure you already knew that part. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

First try looking to see if you still have a connection to the Scout by going to:

My Dashboard -> My Account -> My Connections

If the Scout’s name is listed there, you should be able to click on it and then click on [Scout]'s Membership to add the new membership with the troop.

2 Likes

I do not have connection to him anymoe. I really hate this change! I am the admin for the pack and troop and used to be able to transfer easily. This is frustrating.

1 Like

I did but that paperwork was filed several months ago and still no change. In the meantime he has already earned some ranks and badges. I really hate this change!

1 Like

Do you think there are legs to the idea of talking the parent through adding a troop membership on the scout’s My Dashboard → My Memberships page? All they need is the unit number and the name of the charter, IIRC.

1 Like

Is the scout on your roster in member manager?

1 Like

Normally, if you stay on the Scout’s Membership page when you put an end date with the pack, then you should be able to add a new membership with the troop. However, if you leave the Scout’s Membership page in between those two steps, then the Scout will drop off the unit roster. If the Scout is disappearing in between the two steps even though you stayed (or tried to stay) on the Scout’s Membership page, then that is a bug.

Is the “Transfer In Scout” button on the Troop Roster page not working? You would need his BSA ID number in order to pull him on to the troop’s roster page in Scoutbook.

Is the Scout on the Member Manager roster at my.scouting.org? If not, then you need to contact your council for assistance in finding out the status of his transfer application. Once your council processes the transfer application, he should show up on the Member Manager roster in about 24-48 hours, and on the Scoutbook roster about 24 hours after that.

2 Likes

No this did not give me the option to stay on the membership page it just goes right back to my other scouts and that scout has now disappeared. Why can’t I first add the troop information and then end their time with the Pack. That would be easiest. Now I am going to have to submit a separate order for this scout if and when our council gets him in. Unfortunately this can take some time and the scout should not be punished for Council being slow. This is a change that needs to be fixed and put back so that we can transfer more easily. Not all my parents have logged on to Scoutbook yet as much as I have pushed it.

1 Like

The Scout won’t be punished if the council is slow. The troop can use the “Transfer In Scout” button to pull the Scout onto their Troop Roster.

I have reported the bug to the developers.

1 Like

Only if I have the BSA number and DOB. Since I had done this before with out issues I didn’t think to mark that information down. So now we are at the mercy of our council. Since they are still working on the re-charters it will likely be another month or two before they get to the transfers/new applications. It is hard enough to deal with a new scout and waiting for Council to put them in but a scout that has been in scoutbook since the beginning shouldn’t be an issue.

Scouts are punished because they will not be getting their ranks/MB at the same time as other scouts because I don’t have access to their information to do an advancement report. We are over 200 miles from our council so any orders we do take several days or more to get here. Especially if we want to try to save the shipping costs and wait to have someone traveling from that area pick up the items. Our Troop can not afford to do several orders a month.

1 Like

@AlyssaSchaefbauer, are you a Pack Admin and a Troop Admin?

Yes I am both a Troop and Pack admin.

Is the parent connected to the scout? Can they not still add a membership in a unit that a unit admin can approve? I know that used to work in these types of situations.

1 Like

Do you have access to the pack’s Member Manager roster at my.scouting.org? You should be able to get most of the information from there.

1 Like

Admin in both Pack and Troop.
I’ve made the mistake of putting an end date in the Pack membership, thinking that my connection would persist and that I’d just add their membership in the troop. That doesn’t quite work. I had to ask the parents to take some steps.

Future me will add their membership in the troop, and then term the membership in the Pack.

1 Like

The Scoutbook code will prevent you from doing this, because a Scout cannot have a current membership with a pack and a troop at the same time. There is a bug that is removing your connection to the Scout even though you are remaining on the Scout’s Membership page when trying to add the membership with the troop. We have reported the bug to the developers.

In the meantime, have you tried using the “Transfer In Scout” button on the Troop Roster page? You will need the Scout’s: BSA member number, last name, zip code, and date of birth.

1 Like

Nope. Hadn’t tried that, but now that you point it out, I’ll use it willy nilly… and people wonder how i grew the troop to 70… I kid, I kid!

Looks like a quick screen shot of the profile page (being admin in both) will make for an easy transfer.

Now, if i can just remember this until the pack crosses over…

1 Like

I am having the same issue. Followed the procedures for transferring from cubs to BSA Scouts and ended up deleting them instead of adding them. I have made repeated attempts to add her back into Scoutbook, but the addition only takes for a short time and then does not allow me to set up a connection. We added her to the roster again when we did recharter, but still is not showing up in Scoutbook. Have even used her BSA number to edit her profile, but still she ends up only temporarily showing up with no access to her records allowed, then eventually disappears from the roster again. Been working on this problem for over a year now and still no solution. And if I have to keep doing the paperwork on transfers, then why have an on-line transfer process in Scoutbook at all. Either make the transfer process work in Scoutbook and dump that feature.

1 Like

John,

Is she on your Member Manager roster in my.scouting.org? If not, this is the reason she is not remaining on your Scoutbook roster. You will need to contact your registrar to get her added back to your official roster first.

1 Like