Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Troop Lock In

Do you think that the troop lock in can be considered as a camping night?

For which requirement?

entering it as a “camping” day in Scoutbook

For which rank, merit badge, or award requirement?

Not entering for any of that, it would go in as Scouts camping log

So for Order of the Arrow. We don’t. If the Scout sleeps in a permanent shelter, it doesn’t count as a camping night.

that is what i believe as well. especially since those days are used for OA qualifier

The OA membership eligibility requirements don’t track days of camping, only nights.

https://oa-bsa.org/about/membership

https://oa-bsa.org/resources/faq/camping-requirement-interpretation

I think that a troop lock in could potentially count as a troop “activity” (but not an “outdoor activity” or “campout”) as part of Second Class / First Class #1a. Is that what you are trying to track?

At the Scoutmaster’s discretion, it could (potentially) count as a night of camping for JTE purposes (JTE Support Documents: FAQs: Unit).

2 Likes

An activity. Not camping.

Patrick, the way the current log works, a scout/parent/leader may enter anything they want into the Scoutbook Camping log. That is part of why Scoutbook does not automatically give credit from log entries toward awards and advancement.

A unit may choose to limit what is entered, but the account belongs to the scout, not the unit. If s/he wants to enter something, s/he can.

Doug but it does count if you run the OA report. I guess ultimately it comes down to the SM allowing it as a camping night. Or having the person running the report knowing that that particular “night” can not be used toward OA

The OA requirements do not specify that the camping needs to be in a tent. Cabin camping could count. Other things like a heated lodge or a lock-in are more questionable. I’d say if you don’t consider them to be “camping”, don’t put them in the “camping log”.

1 Like

Or alternatively, enter it in the log but as a zero days/nights

3 Likes

My gut … log whatever. When you generate a report, review it for applicability to whatever purpose you intend. Adjust the total counts accordingly. The O/A requirements seem pretty insistent that the totals reflect outdoor requirements …

… 15 nights of Scout camping while registered with a troop, crew, or ship … must include one … camp consisting of at least five consecutive nights of overnight camping … five nights of the long-term camp may be credited … the balance of the camping (10 nights) must be overnight, weekend, or other short-term camps … Ship nights may be counted as camping for Sea Scouts.

That’s a lot of emphasis on the word “camp” to the point of saying “ship nights” only count for Sea Scouts, which raises the question of a troop who does a Seabase live-aboard sailing adventure instead of a land-lubber’s summer camp. Plus, I’m sure that some troops have unique opportunities of indoor overnights that crowd out the traditional camping schedule. So the SM’s discretion comes into play here, regardless.

My bottom line: has the scout in those identified 15 days displayed enough of his/her character for the SM and scouts to make a fair judgment in an election? Or, was an event on the report more of a “tour” or “sport” rather than actually living together in cheerful service, and would a more demanding overnight activity typical of traditional scouting need to be on the list for everyone to have seen the candidates character?

Hopefully, by the time call-out rolls around, this scout will have camped (in the traditional sense) far more than 15 nights in the past 24 months. So, the point will be moot. If not, hopefully you’ll respond to the intent of the requirements and not total score on a print-out. Hopefully, your committee will stand by your decision.

Quite true. If they are being considered for election to OA, and are in an active unit, they should have no issue with having more than the 15 required nights.
My scout crossed over 22 months ago, and has 53 nights with his troop.