Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Unfinished merit badges being closed

I recently discovered that some merit badges have been closed in Scoutbook when they aren’t actually completed (I put in all merit badges for our troop). I noticed in the Audit Log that they were marked completed by “Unknown” at the same time that some of their rank requirements are being marked as completed by “Unknown”. Since I don’t seem to control where Scoutbook puts Merit Badges for Ranks, I wonder if the system is closing them. How can I make them not closed? Can I move them between Ranks before they are completed?

1 Like

Following the thread

By “closed”, do you mean “completed”?

Can you ask a Troop Admin to Export / Backup the Scout Advancement file and open it up in a spreadsheet program like Excel? Turn filtering on and in the “Advancement Type” field select “Merit Badge”. Then look in the “MarkedCompletedBy” and “MarkedCompletedDate” fields to see the name of the person who marked it as Completed and when.

Merit badges will auto-complete in Scoutbook, so if all of the underlying requirements are marked as Completed, then the merit badge will be marked as completed overall. It’s possible it was marked Completed by a Scout or Scout’s parent. If that’s the case, you would just wait until the Scout turns the blue card in and double check the date completed to match the blue card before marking it as Approved.

You can’t move merit badges around between ranks, but they will automatically fill in based on their dates of completion.

1 Like

The person who did it only does rank advancements not merit badges. He insists he did not put in any information, but the rank requirement it is listed in has been shown as completed at the same time. If he marked the requirement as finished, would it have forced the merit badge to be completed even if the requirements were not completed?

1 Like

Anne,

Can you provide the BSA Member ID (not the name) and the MBs of some Scouts where you are seeing this?

1 Like

Anne,

When you look at the MB in the Scoutbook user interface, so you see Unknown or is there a name? We are trying to determine if this is a report issue or a DB issue.

1 Like

@AnneBrannam I’m having trouble understanding your issue / question. Can you provide more specific details?

Is there an issue with rank requirement #3 for Star / Life / Eagle? Or is it something else?

1 Like

On the Audit Log it says “Unknown”, but in the Scout’s account it gives a name. This person, though, does not do merit badges, and swears he didn’t this time either. He does rank advancements only.

1 Like

Yes, rank advancement #3 for Life. It has happened to Scout 135768636 for Env. Science, and Scout 126955181 for Personal Fitness. Does this help?

1 Like

We have found an issue in the audit report where it is using an incorrect field in the database. This will be corrected next week.

The data in Scoutbook is correct. Whomever it lists as marking the award or requirement complete is the person who did so.

3 Likes

Is there any way to change the data? It is incorrect and could prove problematic come Eagle BoR time.

1 Like

What data is incorrect?

1 Like

Those two merit badges haven’t been completed, but the system says they are.

1 Like

Click on the completion date, clear it and click UPDATE or SAVE.

Keep in mind that Scouts can also mark requirements and awards complete, indicating they are ready to be tested.

1 Like

@AnneBrannam - I am also trying to figure it the issue along with the statements of “the person that does”. I can only guess they are committee members under the Advancement chair. It is one thing to have an item marked complete and another thing o have it approved. Perhaps some screenshots at the very beginning would have lessened confusion.

2 Likes

Interesting thought; I’m not sure how to get screen shots up on here.

I use snipping tool in win10, grab the images save then just drag the file into the reply window thus:

1 Like

OK, so I tried to remove the completion date and save, but Scoutbook says I have to remove the completion date for rank first. The Scout earned the rank using different merit badges, so the rank was earned, but the Env, Science badge (which Scoutbook put in) was not.

1 Like

Exactly which requirement did you try removing the completion date for?

1 Like

Scoutbook bases the MBs for rank on their completion date.

To remove the completion date on Env Science, you will need to first remove the completion date from the rank (and clear the approved and award check boxes if necessary), remove the completion date from Env Science, then go back to the rank, and restore the completion date (and approved and awarded checkboxes if you cleared them).

1 Like