Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Uniform Inspection sheet

And this would be one of those places where we diverge. I don’t see the value in allowing what I consider to be crap to invade my scout’s thinking. If I were to have a scored uniform inspection then we would make local decision on what counted for which scores.

If it takes your scout more than about 20 minutes to make something then your scout has a serious lack of computer skills that should be addressed.

While the badge is still around - where are the Drum and Bugle Corps scout units that it mentions?

1 Like

@KirkWood, now I understand your point. I agree that even having the Musician badge available is highly optimistic. I wonder how many per year they sell. Of those how many are purchased by collectors, and how many more are purchased in error?

I do applaud the optimism about this topic that shines through on page 10 of the Guide to Awards and Insignia.

Is it optimism or denial? (Or more likely a lack of editing to stay current?)

When I went to Jamboree (1981) I met a lifeguard who was a member of an Explorer post that would have come close. Their entire high school band were Explorer members. But… they only had the association to get access to a camp. She didn’t know much about the BSA and purchased a uniform for the occasion.

The interesting thing here is that the paragraph indicates Venturers would be required to wear the green shirt. Though all other Venturing units can pick their own uniform. Which one wins? (Rhetorical question)

I like that the handbook comment is on there. It would seem that uniform canon includes the “Guide to Awards and Insignia” and the inspection sheet since they are on the same website. Besides your dislike of the handbook being counted, what else “isn’t based on the real rules”?

Current membership card or temporary certificate on person.

Official pants or official uniform pants or shorts; no cuffs. (Units have no option to change.)

Find this in the Guide to Insignia and Uniforms. I searched and found 1 reference to pants and it references recommended uniform for Venturers (Page 47 of the section 3). Interestingly BSA’s official blog chose to highlight a unit that considered jeans a normal part of the uniform experience. (https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2014/08/08/troop-501/)

Moving past this, I find it disgusting the number of scouters who make a big deal about pants while wearing serious things that are NOT a part of the uniform. They all reference some mystical part of the guide (that evidently is not included in the published guide).

To be honest, I believe that so many miss the entire point of the uniform. Also, I find it interesting that the vast majority of the people I know who are pushing uniforming also have never served in a uniformed service.

Uniform is one of eight methods of scouting. It carries no more significance than the other seven. Further one can experience the benefits of uniform by being… uniform.

I will say I have seen plenty a young man (and will surely see some young women) who come to life wearing the uniform. One such young man would proudly wear his scout uniform while introducing his great grandfather at the annual veteran’s recognition held at a nearby school. He stood proud in his uniform.

I remain firmly convinced that the best method of improving the uniform is to learn the uniform and help others with fixing theirs. Far fewer are bothered by receiving help than receiving some poor score on a sheet. As a note, in my 5.5 years of active duty not once did I ever receive an inspection from such a sheet. Leaders memorized the uniform. If it important, then learn how to inspect it without a sheet.

I’m pretty sure the 15 point handbook about two or three decades old. We had a unit commissioner who would suspend BoR’s if the scout didn’t bring his. Never recalled making a stink about that in the 70s.

Find a sheet that suits your scouts, weight the scores accordingly. Have fun with it!

Our SPL finally got around to having one. The winning patrol got a giant chocolate chip cookie.

1 Like

If it is truely a reward based system and the scouts respond well then I would say go for it.

I still have my handbook from when I was a scout. I am sure more would have been marked in it if it was considered part of my advancement record at the time. I do have a (very) few advancement items marked in it.

We must have had a thing against writing in books back in the day. All of my T2F reqs were signed off in pocket-sized requirements book that we could take into the field. (In fact, I think our SM gave them to us while we were on a campout.)

1 Like

There is one truly outdated item. It isn’t the handbook. It is the membership card. We aren’t given them, they are self serve in our council. The scouts weren’t interested, so we didn’t print them. I guess that would be “free points”.

1 Like

@Qwazse, the Progress Record Book was the official record for a Scout’s advancement for a stretch. Perhaps it was 7 years. I’m not sure. It had a page for each rank and each skill award. My skill awards are all signed off in mine, and my Tenderfoot through star ranks are signed off there as well. The Handbook changed at that point, and I got the new one, which had places to sign off. The version of the Handbook I had when I crossed over had no place to record signatures.

I remember being terrified of losing that little Progress Record Book. I always carried it in my back pocket to troop meetings, but I never took it camping. I could always get things signed off later.

2 Likes

I also got the 9th ed. BSHB mid-career. I can see where I transferred my the dates things were signed off, then check-listed everything thereafter. No leader signatures, so I think everything was “signed off” in my little book. The only thing that didn’t get a signature/initials, I think, was a BoR. My committee was strictly handshake.

Having that registration card in your wallet was a big deal. That got you the discount at the men’s store where you would buy your uniform and pocket knives.

2 Likes

So, one last question on this thread. Do you print / receive cards still for your units? I assume the days of discounts are gone. Our scouts didn’t seem interested. I wonder, though, if some would put it in the wallet (the ones that have wallets) and see value in it.

I don’t think we did this year.
Maybe, to compensate for increased fees, BSA could issue something better … like serialized challenge coins.

1 Like

I love the idea of “some honey with the vinegar”. We increased the fees, because we needed to, but you will also see these benefits…

It’s been a couple of years since we printed them for everyone in the Troop. Nobody has expressed any interest in having them, nor concern about NOT having them.

Do your scouts get a thrill getting a membership card? I did back in the day. I still have mine, stored with my memorabilia.

Would receiving a membership card help scouts feel like they belong to the group, rather than they just attend the group?

Adults generally don’t care. They have belonged to groups before. But this is new to most of the youth.

Maybe some of them do. I’ve seen more than a few forgotten in the meeting room the night we handed them out, thought.

Well, back in the day being a card-carrying whatever was used as a political slur!
Also, back in the day, you kept your medical form with you in your wallet. (Yes, they folded down to that size!)
Now, many scouts don’t even carry wallets.

As long as we’re talking crazy: BSA could consider a durable “credit card” that would integrate a few things like med form, cyberchip, totin-chip, camp wifi access, parental tracking, access to electronic pamphlets from the troop library, etc … rechartering would involve swapping out a SIM into an updated card. (Each year’s card would come with targeted marketing that would activate discounts based on the years of service encoded in the SIM – thus how they would be affordable.)

And that’s not even next-level crazy.

1 Like