BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Unit advancement report to local council

now that all the advancement record is logged in Scoutbook, do we still need to submit unit advancement report through Internet Advancement and/or email signed report to the local council?

Council Still needs the report - you can get it from the Scoutbook Needs Purchasing Report > Purchase Order > Advancement Report at bottom

1 Like

If you want to see paperless advancement, this is where you can upvote the new feature request:

Thanks but how do we print it? There is no pdf button or print anywhere, print from the browser makes it all crazy looking.

The Advancement Report is a pdf. You should be able to download it and then print it.

Steve - from the PO there is a line for the advancement report once that is generated it will spawn a child window and within that there should be an option to print. In my case it opens in a chrome window and if I hover near the top of the for a toolbar shows up with a print option. I can also right click on it and it provides a print option.

1 Like

See the Report to Bring to Scout Shop video

Can someone confirm for me, is this report only necessary for purchasing items at the Scout Store and not something that I am submitting to the council office to finalize advancement?

I am a new Scoutmaster and I just want to confirm that I’m not messing with my scouts advancement because I am not submitting the form to the council office. I really thought Scoutbook was the way to confirm advancement, but then I keep seeing posts that say an advancement report is still needed.

Is Scoutbook sufficient for rank advancement and the report is just for purchasing?

If it also needs to be submitted to the council, who at the council needs to receive this report?

Angela - if the scouts are in advancement sync, then that data is already in the system as scoutbook is and will be that system. Now the advancement report is what is needed to purchase rank items. Most often you are dealing with store employees who may or may not know that thee data is in the system and beyond that the guide to advancement has them looking for that report.

1 Like

Talk to your local council about what they want. Most just want the report in order to purchase advancements at the Scout shop.

1 Like

The advancement report within Scoutbook is only to prove to the scoutshop that you’ve already entered it into Scoutbook in order to purchase restricted items. Some allow you to show it electronically. Others may still require a paper copy.

1 Like

Thanks! This is what I thought. I appreciate the confirmation!

Angela, this seems to be a common issue and it depends on your Council and Scout shop.
For our Council and Scout shop, the procedure is:

1. Enter awards, ranks etc in Scoutbook.
  2. Add them to a new PO.
  3. Award them
  4. Print purchase order (not turned in just for buying items at shop)
  5. On the PO page print the ‘advancement report’ and have 3 people sign it. Retarded I know. And in the date box we put “various”.
    Note: I print 2-3 of the advancement report because if one scout shop runs out a of an item they take my report and when I go to the other scout shop they want the report also!

Yes, the whole thing is very dumb being that we are entering everything on Scoutbook and its all recorded and still have to print out the report even though council has it on their screen.

2 Likes

Steve, why do you do step 3 prior to purchasing the awards?

Steve, that’s horrific. Not only do you have to print it out, but get others to sign it? Why in the world?
I’d raise this as an issue with council management, and to national if they seem unresponsive.
It is 2019; Scoutbook automatically syncs, and being paperless is part of Leave No Trace.

Award them, as marking them awarded not physically awarding them. If I don’t mark them awarded at this time I will have to come back again, which I don’t want to see Scoutbook the least possible, and then mark them as awarded.
Otherwise when I look at my Scouts in the future I will see some show not awarded, not not given out, which then they could be seen as the Scout did not receive his award. Sometimes we input things late or find a MB card that was missed maybe. When inputting say today, I mark it when he earned it and that could be 6 months ago. By awarding when I go buy them I’ve reset it everything so anything non-awarded must need attention.

See my disclaimer, that’s how I was asked to submit it at our Council. Your’s could differ. But I 100% agree with you.

I would generally recommend against marking things awarded that haven’t actually been awarded. It’s just bad practice and can make things harder to track done if there is a disagreement about what was actually awarded.

@SteveMcGuffey This isn’t so much aimed at you if you are comfortable doing that but all the other users who may read this in the future.

That is fine too do. BUT. If you add to a PO, print advancement report and then go buy all the awards but say Scout Mikey does not show up to the COH to take hold of his award as you are recommending you will mark everyone ‘awarded’ except him. Now you hold that purchased award in your possession until the next court of honor and you will now need to reconcile your ‘needs to award’ report with your ‘purchasing report’ and make sure you placed that already purchased award in a safe place that you will remember about.

Under your recommendation an advancement person has to touch Scoutbook 3 times minimum, and mine just once.

Under my recommendation, you have a way to remember that said scout was not at the COH.