Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Video Project - Additional Talent Release?

I am working on a video project that will include scouts discussing Scout Oath & Law on camera. The intent would be to use it at unit meetings throughout the district, possibly within the entire council in the future. Do Scout families have to sign any additional talent releases other than what they have already signed upon registering in Scouting?

I believe that the talent release is only for BSA and does not extend to individuals, even if you do plan to use at BSA events, training courses, etc. This is probably a question best directed to BSA.Legal@scouting.org

Some BSA information

Old 2014 release for Scoutbook

Related health and insurance releases 2014

Separate release required for each event (project)?

1 Like

State laws vary, so I would also recommend talking to your local council.

1 Like

Your CO might have additional rules you must comply with as well.

1 Like

I am not an industry expert, but my small exposure has been that projects like this generally keep separate releases for the project.I am not generally one to create more paperwork, but this is a place I would. It is one thing for a parent to sign understanding a child might be photographed in events. It is another level when the footage is for a specific reason.

1 Like

Done. The sneaky part of the health form includes a talent release that covers volunteers:

“I do so hereby assign and grant to the local council and the Boy Scouts of America, as well as their authorized representatives, the right and permission to use and publish the photographs/film/ videotapes/electronic representations and/or sound recordings made of me or my child at all Scouting activities, and I hereby release the Boy Scouts of America, the local council, the activity coordinators, and all employees, volunteers, related parties, or other organizations associated
with the activity from any and all liability from such use and publication. I further authorize the reproduction, sale, copyright, exhibit, broadcast, electronic storage, and/or distribution of said photographs/film/videotapes/electronic representations and/or sound recordings without limitation at the discretion of the BSA, and I specifically waive any right to any compensation I may have for any of the foregoing.“

Just a reminder. You may need a separate talent release form for those who do not have to complete BSA health forms. Personally I do not like the idea of having health information in a talent release form file.

1 Like

Yep, and I don’t like that the talent release seems “snuck into” the medical form.

1 Like

It reduces the bureaucratic burden, but seemed sneaky to be put in the fine print of the front page of a medical form. Nice for the troop, not so nice for privacy.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.