BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

We have a scout that has met the requirements for Star he is at Summer camp next week. WHO is ALLOWED to do a Board of Review at Summer camp

Just looking for suggesting on how to do a board of Review at Summer camp. We might be one person short from our troop. Can a camp director over 18 fill in ? THoughts.

THanks!

All board members must be age 21+.

8.0.0.3 Composition of the Board of Review
A board of review must consist of no fewer than three members and no more than six, all of whom must be at least 21 years of age. For further specifications, see “Particulars for Tenderfoot Through Life Ranks,” 8.0.2.0, and “Particulars for the Eagle Scout Rank,” 8.0.3.0. Unit leaders and assistants shall not serve on a board of review for a Scout in their own unit. Parents, guardians, or relatives shall not serve on a board for their child. The candidate or the candidate’s parent(s) or guardian(s), or relative(s) shall have no part in selecting any board of review members.

8.0.2.0 Particulars for Tenderfoot Through Life Ranks
The preceding applies to boards of review for all Scouts BSA ranks (except Scout rank), but there are a few differences for the ranks other than Eagle:

The board is made up of three to six unit committee members—no more and no less. In units with fewer than three registered committee members available to serve, it is permissible to use knowledgeable parents (not those of the candidate) or other adults (registered or not) who are at least 21 years of age and who understand Scouting’s aims. Using unregistered adults for boards of review must be the exception, not the rule. Registered committee members familiar with the unit program, who have had a background check, and who are Youth Protection trained are preferred. Scheduling boards of review when and where committee members can attend usually alleviates the problem of not having enough committee members for a board.

1 Like

In other words, a camp director over the age of 21 can sit in on a BOR.

We had this come up with a few Scouts last year at summer camp. I sat on a BOR for a Star scout from another troop, and their SM agreed to sit in on a couple BORs for our Scouts. It was actually a good experience having the boys talk to an experienced scouter that wasn’t part of our unit.

2 Likes

We did several BORs at camp this past week. The Camp Director and Program Directors both volunteered to sit on BORs if troops didn’t have enough adults to conduct them.

If your camp director has time, go for it. Most camps, area directors are also over 21. Personally, I wouldn’t ask either unless I had some relationship because they have long hours and are unlikely to say no regardless of how much they might wish they had not been asked.

Now the scouters from the camp next door? Well they are fair game. Our troop pulled a Cub Master once when we were camping at a state park and had a pack across from us. He loved it.

As an SM I would love a chance to sit on another troop’s BOR.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.