Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Webelos Compass Points

In going through our pack’s advancement box, I found a stack of Webelos Compass Points patches. I googled it, and found some references, but I also found a patch listed on ebay and described as discontinued.

What is the status of this program? If they’re obsolete, I’ll move them to the box with the hundreds of dollars of other advancement our unit bought and never had anyone earn.

The Webelos Compass Points patches were part of the old program that was discontinued in 2015.

1 Like

@JenniferOlinger Thank you. I’ll move them to the other pile of obsolete items which we have no idea what to do with.

1 Like

Do not buy till earned is the simple answer

4 Likes

@DonovanMcNeil I’ve been harping that since I joined the pack. Last year, I was the Advancement Coordinator and I purged as best I could and never bought until I needed it. It worked fabulously. I can’t stand the amount of money the unit wasted on awards and event patches that were never used.

1 Like

It is prudent, but makes “immediate recognition” impossible.

1 Like

Immediate Recognition does not necessarily mean the award is handed to the Scout. You can recognize a Scout by saying “Johnny earned the Underwater Basketweaving Award tonight. We will present the award at the next meeting.”

When I became advancement chair of the pack, I returned everything I could and only purchased awards after they were approved in Scoutbook. It saved a lot of money and made the job of advancement chair much easier.

4 Likes

Great point. Recognize immediately.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.