What does the “Gender Accepted” field indicate in the Trained Leader Status database?

What does “Gender Accepted” mean at Trained Leader Status ? Note that this is an individual field. It applies to Scouters, not units.

Hi, @JSyler, it’s actually attached to the individual’s position with a given unit. For example, holding a position in two units, one a boys troop the other a girls troop, the individual will show up as “B” for the GenderAccepted field when you view the individual’s training record from the boys’ troop Training Manager and as “G” when you view the individual’s training record from the girls’ troop Training Manager.

I thought you had already gotten an answer on this in a different thread… Am I misunderstanding the question?

That question auto-closed after 24 hours(!), and so I couldn’t comment to clarify why the answer didn’t help. That “B” meant “boy troop” and “G” meant “girl troop” was so obvious it didn’t need saying. What I didn’t understand is why this showed up on individual Scouter records in the Trained Leader database. You’ve now clarified this. Thanks.

1 Like

I guess I have one remaining question: What is the usefulness of this field? Who needs to know this?

My guess is that since the information exists in the database for the units, someone at a district/council/region level asked to be able to see what the gender of the unit is when they started having co-ed packs and (now) girls’ troops. Why someone wanted to see the data is a question only the person who asked to see it could answer.

I assume that it is there for district / council use. They have a view that includes all units, so it can be helpful to them to be able to limit their view to boy / girl / family leaders sometimes.

There are several fields in the Trained Leaders Report that are not particularly helpful to a unit leader, but they are helpful to district / council (or higher) levels as a way to sort / filter the data.

1 Like

Yes, there is one report that can be run for a single unit or multiple units at the district or council level.

Gender accepted is associated with the “unit”. I suspect the simple answer to the “individual field” is that it was easier and cheaper to add a separate field to the database.

It does not apply to the “Scouter”. For registered Scouters records in the training membership database are position records. (From member applications - online or offline.) For registered Scouters records in the training database appear to be associated with an id composed of the council id and the council BSA id.

This allows the membership database to be used to count the “basic position-specific leader trained” but complicated taking a different view, for example by chartered organization.

For example, the unit level a chartered organization representative may have more than one position and positions in more than one unit.

(Records in the YPT database appear to be training and membership databases maybe linked by council and council BSA ID number.)

Updated: 2019-10-12.

@JSyler, this field lets me know in Scoutbook.com whether I am looking at a Boy Troop or a Girl Troop.

In BeAScout.org, this field is used to designate whether a male or female youth can sign up to join your Pack or Troop. This is also visible to parents who are looking for a unit.

Because the Training Report can contain multiple units, I need to separate the in my Boy Troop, from my Girl Troop with the same number. If I were to pull a report for my Girl Troop, Training Manager needs that field on my record to know to include me as part of the report, and not include any of the other leaders from my Boy Troop. (As the COR, I am the only common adult between my 2 Troops.)

@Bill_Wm I don’t see any signs of a separate YPT database. There appears to only a single BSA Training database that includes YPT along with Cubmaster Specific, Safe Swim Defense, Troop Committee Challenge, etc. I am guessing you are correct that the Key fields in the Training table are (Council # + Member #). The query probably goes to Akela to pull all of the leaders for the unit(s) selected, which uses that Key to pull in the applicable training records, to generate the report requested.

Thanks Ken. I must have been thinking of the “YPT aging report” when I wrote “YPT database”. I have corrected and expanded my earlier reply. Bill_W.

I thought that you couldn’t reuse a unit number for a Girl Troop.
Our girl troop has chosen to put the same number on their sleeve as the boy troop, but officially they have a prefix number that was added specifically because we were told that they had to be a different number.

Many councils did it that way. Some allowed the girl Troops to have the same official number as the boy troop.

Yes, National (and my Council) certainly allow using the same number—it just has “G” after it in official documents.

1 Like

Interesting. Our council made it sound like their hands were tied on the issue and they WISHED they could just add a G to the number, but there was nothing they could do about it because the database wasn’t built that way.

Your council wasn’t entirely wrong. Some things broke initially because of duplicate numbers, and the BSA had to do some emergency fixes.

1 Like

@ChristyDryden, Council have the option to require a unique number for the Girl Troops. That would be scary in my Council as numbers can only go up to 9999. Being a Council as large as ours, it could become a challenge if we required all of our Girl Troops to have a different number from our Boy Troops.