Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
âś•
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

When does AOL elective need to be earned?

I have a few AOL scouts that earned multiple electives during the Webelo year, but have yet to earn any during the AOL year. Can one of the electives earned during 4th grade be used to meet the requirement of an elective adventure for AOL. Thanks

Yes. It wouldn’t make sense otherwise. For example, consider a real go-getter who went out and completed every Webelos/AoL elective adventure as a 4th grader, prior to completing Webelos rank. If those couldn’t be counted toward AoL, the scout would be unable to earn the Arrow of Light.

ETA: That said, I would probably encourage the scouts to pursue one or more additional electives that interest them if they have the time. No sense sitting on one’s laurels if there’s more cool stuff to learn… :^)

Thanks. I have encouraged them to complete more electives, but wanted to make sure they are OK if they don’t

I believe that the wording in the Guide to Advancement says something to the effect that scouts are not permitted to work on Arrow of Light until they have either completed Webelos or are in the 5th grade. I don’t have the G2A on hand at the moment, but that’s the gist of it.

That said, as I noted above, it doesn’t make sense to apply this to electives, since it could generate a situation where a scout became unable to complete AoL if he or she earned all of the electives. Alternatively, it creates a perverse incentive for the scout to hold off on earning electives that he or she might find interesting in order to avoid shutting themselves out of AoL.

I think this is what you were thinking of from the GTA:

All youth who are in Webelos dens and are in the fifth grade shall work on Arrow of Light requirements. They can earn the Arrow of Light rank without earning the Webelos rank.

Could be, @Stephen_Hornak . I thought there was a newer statement somewhere else that appeared more restrictive.

4.1.1.0 Cub Scout Ranks
Cub Scouts do not “go back” and work on ranks designed for earlier grade levels, even if missed due to their time of joining. Likewise, Cub Scouts do not “move ahead” to work on the next rank until the completion of the current school year (or until their next birthday if their chartered organization transitions by age), with the exception of those who earned the Webelos rank in the fourth grade. (emphasis added)

The electives are shared (between Webelos and AOL rank). So it makes sense to me that for a Webelos Scout in the 4th grade, the first elective adventure would apply towards the Webelos elective requirement, and the second elective adventure would apply towards the AOL elective requirement. Otherwise you could get into a (hypothetical) situation where a Scout could earn all of the elective adventures prior to earning the Webelos rank, and have no electives left to earn for AOL rank, which would not make sense.

2 Likes

That’s the section I was thinking of, @JenniferOlinger.

Even if they don’t earn ALL of the elective adventures in 4th grade, they may earn the 10-12 most feasible for them to earn, leaving only the adventures that are not logistically possible for one reason or another. Does it really make sense to punish that scout for having overachieved in 4th grade?

Yeah, it sounds like we all agree that the intent is for Webelos/AoL electives not to be captured under the “move ahead” rule.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.