Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.

Scouting Forums

Where to Get Advancement Help?

Where does the Scout get help?

Where does the Scoutmaster get help?

Where does the Lone Scout BSA Friend and Counselor get help?

  • The same place as the Unit Advancement Chair?

Where to Get Advancement Help in the New National Service Territories Structure

From Advancement News:

With the restructuring of BSA’s four Regions into 16 National Service Territories (NST), many advancement administrators are wondering where to turn for help with advancement issues.

As always, the first place to look should be the Guide to Advancement, which can be viewed/downloaded at https://www.scouting.org/programs/scouts-bsa/advancement-and-awards/resources/. Most of the time you will find the answer in the GTA, but if you are not sure of how to interpret or apply the answer you did find, your next step depends on your service role in Scouting.

Unit Advancement Chairs should always contact their District or Council Advancement Chair, first. Likewise, District Advancement Chairs should always contact their Council Advancement Chair, first.

If Council Advancement Chairs need further assistance, their next stop is the National Service Territory Program Lead, who is responsible for finding knowledgeable folks in other councils within the NST who can share their insights. These inquiries will be handled on an as-needed basis, as there are no standing advancement committees within the NSTs.

Finally, if the Program Lead cannot resolve the issue, the NST Program Lead and/or the Council Advancement Chair will contact the National Advancement Team for advice. Please note that members of the National Advancement Team are volunteers at the national level, so this process might entail some delays in securing a response. It is important to note that currently there is not a national professional dedicated to helping with advancement questions.

Meanwhile, don’t forget that there are plenty of folks at the local Council and NST level with years of experience and a willingness to help. Just ask your District or Council Executive to help point you in the right direction.



Version 2021-12-19-A

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.