Who approves Lions Den completions for advancement?

In all other dens, the den leader approves requirement completions. By design, Lions Dens do not have a den leader. Who approves requirement completions in the Lions Den? I know that I can do so as the advancement chair, but I don’t feel that is right, as I am not in their meetings and don’t know what they are working in. So, who approves them?

The position of Lion Guide was changed to Den Leader (or Lion Den Leader) when the Lion program came out of the pilot program in 2018. However, Lion Den Leaders still facilitate and engage families so that each family takes a turn leading one den meeting and outing.

This is what the BSA Guide to Advancement says:

4.1.0.3 Who Approves Cub Scout Advancement?
A key responsibility for den leaders is to implement the den meeting plans as outlined in the four den leader guides shown within this topic. For Lion through Bear ranks, if the activity is completed outside of the den meeting, the parent, adult partner, or another trusted adult may sign in the Cub Scout’s handbook, indicating the Cub Scout has done their best to complete the requirement. The den leader then records that requirement after consultation with the family or the Cub Scout to confirm completion. If the requirement is completed in a den meeting, the den leader signs the handbook and records the requirement. Den leaders may delegate an assistant or parent who helps at meetings to assist with the approvals. For Webelos and Arrow of Light adventures and ranks, the den leader signs for approval of all requirements, unless the den leader delegates this responsibility.

Thanks! Our pack apparently was not aware of this change.

Here is an article about the Lion program coming out of pilot (where they mention changing the name):

Bryan on Scouting: After roaring success, Lions will move from pilot to full-time part of Cub Scouting

And here is a resources page for Lion Den Leaders:

https://www.scouting.org/programs/cub-scouts/den-meeting-resources/lion-resources/

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.