Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Wolf Footsteps of Faith Adventure

The lede for the requirements says:

Complete Requirement 1 or 2 plus at least two others.

There are six requirements.

The Scout completed reqs. 1 and 4 first. He has now completed req. 2.

When I enter req. 2 as complete, Scoutbook does not mark the adventure as complete.

I think it should be complete, but I don’t know for sure how this is intended to be administered. The lede does not say “and two others from among requirements 3 through 6.” I don’t see how the completion of requirement 1 makes requirement 2 valueless.

For context, requirement 2 is

Earn the religious emblem of your faith that is appropriate for your age, if you have not already done so.

I don’t see how the Scout’s prior completion of req. 1:

Discuss with your parent, guardian, den leader, or other caring adult what it means to do your duty to God. Tell how you do your duty to God in your daily life.

renders req. 2 worthless.

Scoutbook is treating this as if the requirements are written:

Complete requirement 1 and at least two others

1. Complete one of the fowllowing:
    a. Discuss with your parent, guardian, den leader, or other caring adult what it means to do your duty to God. Tell how you do your duty to God in your daily life.
    b. Earn the religious emblem of your faith that is appropriate for your age, if you have not already done so.
  2. Offer a prayer, meditation, or reflection with your family, den, or pack.
  3. Read a story about people or groups of people who came to America to enjoy religious freedom.
  4. Learn and sing a song that could be sung in reverence before or after meals or one that gives encouragement, reminds you how to show reverence, or demonstrates your duty to God.
  5. Visit a religious monument or site where people might show reverence. Create a visual display of your visit with your den or your family, and show how it made you feel reverent or helped you better understand your duty to God.

But that’s not what it says. If they meant the requirements to be administered like that, they could have easily written them that way. I just did.

Unless someone can point out why I’m off base, I’m marking the Scout comlpete on this adventure. If I’m correct Scoutbook needs to count one optional requirement as complete when a Scout completes both reqs. 1 and 2.

Are you saying it is not Auto completing? Is it at 100%? Adventures do not Auto-complete

@DonovanMcNeil - when I entered req. 2 as complete, it still said 67% complete.

@PeterHopkins - you typed so much it is unclear - so currently you have 1,2,4 marked off? if that is the case Scout is not done. you need 1 OR 2 - then 2 of 3-6. It is not clearly stated I agree, but I think it is clearly implied.

2 Likes

The “Or” excludes the use of #1 or 2 for the second part

1 Like

@DonovanMcNeil - yes, I have 1, 2 and 4 marked complete.

I don’t see it as clearly implied that the completion of req. 1 or 2 renders the other one of no consequence. I can see how it can be read and understood that way, but it doesn’t rise to the level of clear for me. I see it as ambiguous.

If I look at the totality of what is meant to be accomplished in this adventure, req. 1 and 2 are the ones upon which the most emphasis is placed. For that reason, at least one of them must be completed. Reqs. 3 through 6 are of lesser significance. If the Scout is being asked to do three things, s/he has accomplished more by doing reqs. 1 and 2 and one out of reqs. 3 through 6.

Particularly if the Scout has completed req. 1 first and then earned a youth religious emblem, certainly the earning of the emblem is more ambitious than offering a prayer, meditation, or reflection with his or her family, den, or pack (req. 3) - which he has probably already done anyway. I feel like not signing off on the completed adventure would have the efffect of trivializing the accomplishment of earning the emblem. For that reason, I think the way I am reading the requirements is more appropriate. It simply provides a better and more fair outcome for the Scout,

I do tax planning and consultig for a living. That impacts how I read other things including adancement requirements and uniforming rules. Ambiguity in language can make me more frustrtated than the average person might otherwise become. So please believe I have no interest in busting chops here. Where I find ambiguous language, I tend to give the Scout the benefit of the doubt, becuase if the national Cub Scout committee wanted it to be applied more strictly, they could have written it differently.

In the end, this is Cub Scouts. The boy is not being evaluated to determine whether he passe dthe bar exam. He has obviously done his best, and the learning and experience the adventure intends have clearly taken place. This is a separate analysis from how the requirements are actually supposed to be administered. So, unless there is something definitive and unambiguous prohibiting it, I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt and signing him off.

The Duty to God Footsteps adventure requires the Scout to complete requirement 1 or 2 plus at least 2 others.

BSA grouped 1 and 2 together. They are more similar in effort and their intended objective. The Scout then must complete at least two of the remaining requirements.

I agree, us pedantic types see it a different way.

A better wording might be:

Complete a minimum of three requirements - one of Requirements 1 or 2, and two of requirements 3 through 6.

@Christopher.Schuster - I agree that there are a who bunch of better ways to express the requirements than what they did, if the true intent is as you say.

I don’t agree that reqs. 1 and 2 are similar in effort or intended objective. That would have to be evaluated with reference to the particular faith in which the emblem was earned. Req. 1 can be completed in under 30 minutes. Req. 2 takes substantial effort. In this case, the Scout’s mother filled out the evaluation form in the workbook, and she estimated he spent 12 to 15 hours working on the award. I would expect that is not uncommon for a religious emblem available to a Wolf. My daughter earned a religious emblem as a Wolf last year, and I think she spent 30 hours on it. Since the emblem was not the emblem of her faith, she could not complete req. 2 by earning it.

This is the first time I recall a Scout having completed req. 1 and exactly one other requirement and then earning the religious emblem. Usually, a Scout like that will just complete one of the easier requirements and complete the adventure. So, I’ve never seen this pattern before.

A youth of that age being articulate what it means to do their duty to God would mean they have a solid understanding of what “duty to God” actually means with respect to BSA definitions.
There are Scouters, a lot of Scouters who have no comprehension of this topic.

I would hazard a guess that the majority of Scouters - especially newer ones, Scouters who’s sole BSA experience is solely within the Cub Scout program - don’t comprehend the subject.

@Christopher.Schuster - A Scout’s duty to God has more to do with the Scout’s own faith than it does any BSA definition. Some Scouts are practicing faiths in which significant expectations are placed on them would have a lot to say during the conversation to meet this requirement. Others would need to be guided, so they can see how they do their duty to God in their daily lives.

1 Like

I’d suggest you read the comments of Persistent Polymath on Reddit. He has a deep understanding of the subject from Scouting’s perspective.

National Cub Program has confirmed - It is “Do 1 or 2 plus two from 3 to 6”

3 Likes

@Christopher.Schuster - I’v never used Reddit before, and that PP’s perspective was interesting and much like my own, but I don’t see what it has to do with my post.

1 Like

Thanks for following up @DonovanMcNeil

Donovan, may I ask another question on this requirement? Some religious award faith programs overlap years (K-3, 4-6…Etc). In my case I did it as a youth in 3rd and 5th grade. For now, if a scout did their 4th grade level religious award [Webelos] could it be counted also for their Arrow of Light advancement [Duty to God #3]? Or, since they’ve already earned it, would that exclude them from completing that option “Earn the religious emblem of your faith that is appropriate for your age, if you have not done so already.” Personally, my take is “you’ve already earned it so you can’t fulfill #3” but I also don’t have many that ever do the religious award.

It does not say “As a Wolf Scout earn…” so I would say it is fulfilled.

2 Likes

I disagree with @DonovanMcNeil . In Cub Scouts, everything you do is “as a Wolf Scout”. It’s not explicitly stated in any of the requirements.

it is like the Dumb Cyberchip for Scout Rank - If a AOL just finished it last month before crossover, and enters troop - the requirement says earn the cycberchip for your grade. The scout has earned it and I am not going to make them repeat an award they just earned.

Now the CC is horrible, and the Religious awards from PRAY are good material. We can bounce the question to the Cub Committee members we know to find out.

OK - I stand corrected on this - all except the Tiger one say - “, if you have not already done so” - so they could not double dip

1 Like

Advancement News addressed back in 2016:

A transitioning Webelos Scout who holds an unexpired Cyber Chip card for his current school grade has fulfilled this portion of the Scout rank requirement as part of the Webelos “Scouting Adventure.”

If his Cyber Chip card is currently valid, he should simply demonstrate his knowledge to his Scoutmaster or other designated leader after joining the troop. This is not a retest. If, however, the Scout has not grasped these concepts, they may be reviewed (based on Cyber Chip requirements for the Scout’s current grade) to ensure understanding.

All Cyber Chip Awards expire annually, so if a new Scout’s Cyber Chip card for his current grade has lapsed, he simply needs to “recharge” the chip by going back to the Netsmartz Recharge area.