Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Youth protection for a 18 year old

Does a 18 year old who attends troop meetings and hang outs with Scouts need to have YPT?

It is somewhat an odd question. “Hangs out with Scouts.” What do you mean by that? By definition, the 18 year old is an adult. What role do they have in the unit? To be in any role, they need to be registered and need YPT. I don’t know if there is a role for an adult who just likes to hang out with the Scouts, though.

1 Like

I guessing they recently turned 18, are still in high school, and still like coming to scouts? I think they should be registered as an ASM or something, which would require YPT.

1 Like

We approached him about doing YPT and or becoming a Junior Assistant scout Master not interested.
What is ACM? I was wondering if there was anything in writing. Thanks for your help.

YIS
Leon

Leon,

Since he is 18, he does not qualify to be a Jr. Assistant Scoutmaster as that is a youth position. He could be an Assistant Scoutmaster, Unit College Scouter Reserve or Committee Member.

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant ASM. I was in too much of a rush.

1 Like

The minimum age to be a Committee Member is 21. I would recommend the position of Unit College Scouter Reserve, because it does not have any particular responsibilities and the only required training is YPT.

Another option could be Merit Badge Counselor (if he is willing). The YPT and criminal background check are still required, but this position does not have a registration fee.

1 Like

Yes I know that. He does not want to register. My question does he need YPT and where can I find it in writing.

I do not know of a BSA policy that would require it. The closest thing would be the Guide to Safe Scouting: Scouting’s Barriers to Abuse. However, your Troop Committee or Charter Organization can adopt a policy to require it.

1 Like

if it were my troop, I would require him to take YPT to attend meetings but if he wants to camp with the troop be registered.

4 Likes

This is peculiar situation in my book. He wants to regularly socialize with his friends, rather than be a part of the meeting/unit. If he is not a registered leader, a parent, or an adult from the community invited to participate in the meeting, then he has no real business being there. I don’t think you are going to find a policy to handle this. Even if he registered, I would make it clear that his presence is conditional on taking on some kind of active role with the unit, otherwise he can make plans to hang out with his friends outside of the meeting.

2 Likes

I think my first question would be why does he not want to register. Does he have a younger sibling in the troop, and is sticking around while that sibling participates in troop activity?
Was he active as a scout prior to turning 18? Is he not interested in giving back to the troop in his new capacity as an adult? Is there something you may not be aware of that causes him concern with the background check requirement?
I think I would have the COR or CC have a conversation with him. If he is now an adult, and is not interested in remaining a registered part of the troop, I would agree with those who suggest he should socialize with his friend outside of troop activities.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the help full information.

YIS
Leon

All adults accompanying a Scouting unit who are present at the activity for 72 total hours or more must be registered as leaders. The 72 hours need not be consecutive.

I am very anti scare tactic. but if you allow the person to hang out without YPT and registration you are putting yourself in a bad position. Personally, I would allow an 18 year old to be a “paper” ASM. But I would absolutely require them to complete YPT and paperwork. I have a scout who will age out in April. We have already begun discussions on his continued involvement. He can’t wait for summer camp as he doesn’t go for the badges anyway.

3 Likes

I prefer the position of Unit College Scouter Reserve, because it only requires YPT training and would not count against the troop’s training statistics. MBC could also an option, and no registration fee.

However, the original poster said that the 18-year-old does not want to register. My quick back on the envelope math says that this 18-year-old would have to attend about 48 troop meetings before being required to register by the BSA’s 72 hour rule.

I totally agree with you and would not want the troop / charter organization to be put in a bad position, which is why I said that the troop (Scoutmaster, troop committee, or charter organization) could establish a policy to require YPT and registration much earlier than the 72 hours.

1 Like

That might not work in all councils. For example, Tidewater Council has this policy:

Yes, like I said it is a preference. It also does not apply for all situations.

It is my understanding that each troop meeting counts as a separate activity. You’d only run into this issue for summer camps or other campouts of at least three nights.

2 Likes

Nice try, but the rule is “The 72 hours need not be consecutive.” If an adult goes on a trip from 7:00 Friday night until 11:00 Sunday morning they have accumulated 38 hours. Pretty meaning two campouts alone will need to be registered.

Further, everyone should ask themselves what happens if something (anything) goes wrong? I want to know that I have done everything I could to protect my children and those of others. I want to be trustworthy.

We are a values organization and working around these rules puts us at odds with the very values we try to instill.

To me there is no option. If anyone is going to “hang out” with my unit they will be registered. There are some family activities and then family “hangs out.” And I am very open to recruiting. But if someone can’t sit through the roughly 45 to 60 minutes to learn the rules then they don’t need to be around my scouts.

I will acknowledge that as @JenniferOlinger has said it might take 48 hour and a half meetings to make the 72 hours. But regular attendees should be registered attendees. I can come up with the $36 to register any adult who doesn’t have the money. If they can’t handle the check then I don’t want them around.

1 Like

I am not working around any rules at all. It says “the activity”. If they intended it to be cumulative over the course of the entire year… or all of eternity, they would have said so.

The need not be consecutive part is referring to an adult who comes to summer camp for two days, leaves for a day, and comes back for two more days, for example.

2 Likes