BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

YPT for travel to and from camp events

Hypothetical situation; Small Troop is going to camp out. A number of the boys have no transport from meeting place to camp and back. Some of the Scouts double or triple up with another parent or leader in their vehicle. Since we are travelling in convoy together do we need to have “two up” in each vehicle? I’m thinking that we should be ok with one parent/leader having 2 or 3 boys in their vehicle as long as we travel together in a group. We haven’t encountered this problem yet, but it’s just a matter of time. We just took in a number of AOL scouts so I’m looking ahead to ward off problems. I would appreciate any opinions and/or thoughts. Thanks!

Bryan on Scouting: How does two-deep leadership apply when driving to Scouting events?

John - if you take the equation of 2 leaders for each scout and you have 3 scouts then you need 6 adults. Seems a bit much. Follow what Jen has posted.

Also:

Automobiles, SUVs, and Vans
General guidelines are as follows:

1. The drivers must be currently licensed and at least 18 years of age. Scouting youth (under age 18) are not insured under the Boy Scouts of America commercial general liability policy.

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss11/

While I’m glad to see that my sense of reason hasn’t failed me, I have to admit I would feel better with an official “guidance” in the published policies. I’m quite sure this question has arisen with others before. I do thank you all for the help.

My question was strictly under YPT provisions. Drivers qualifications are quite clearly covered under existing training. Thanks anyway!

My reasoning was that as long as we were travelling as a group, rather than individually, then the “2 deep” provision would be met regardless of the number of vehicles. However the reply from the expert would suggest that “no one on one contact” takes precedence over the “2 deep leadership” provision. That’s why I would feel better with a policy statement.

One isn’t taking precedence over the other. If you have a convoy, and if you have 2 registered adult leaders (age 21+) in the convoy, then you have the 2-deep leadership part covered. 2-deep leadership does not mean that you need to have 2 registered adult leaders in every vehicle.

No one-on-one contact is covered by you not being alone in a vehicle with a child who is not your own son or daughter. If you have 2 or more youth in the car with you while you are driving, then you are good, because you are not in a one-on-one situation with them.

They did update the YPT rules back in October (2018), but the main point from the Bryan on Scouting article is still good.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.