My.scouting MBC updating

The district is only involved if the council advancement committee has delegated the role.

The issue is the need to verify the qualification of the prospective MBC. If I remember correctly the Scouting Executive may also has a role in approving the MBC. Does the online submission include a method of verifying new badges supported by the MBC?

I have personally seen a case where a MBC was not qualified to a support a particular badge because he had no knowledge of the subject.

I was answering the question that was asked. Who manages our online form? The submission of what MBs is managed by the district.

In your council, but not necessarily in others.

Bill - the question was about the google web form USED IN MY DISTRICT. Not others, not in general, but based on my response, they asked who maintained it.

Not true. I know a Scouter, over 80 years old, that does not use computers or smart phones.

The capability exists ā€“ didnā€™t all volunteers have the desire. But I will say that one of the best Commissioners I had when I was DC for entering data in UVTS was 86!

2 Likes

My question to the google formā€¦ from the guide to advancement states:
Merit badge counselors must submit the Merit Badge Counselor Information sheet, according to local council practices. The form must show each badge for which the counselor requests approval. Additions or subtractions may be submitted using the same form. It is permissible for councils to limit the number of badges that one person counsels.

His putting it out there

@JohnHeuchan from GTA 7.0.1.4

BlockquoteMerit badge counselors must submit the Merit Badge Counselor Information sheet, according to local council practices. The form must show each badge for which the counselor requests approval. Additions or subtractions may be submitted using the same form. It is permissible for councils to limit the number of badges that one person counsels. They must not do so, however, to the point where Scoutsā€™ choices, especially in small or remote units,

Hey Matt,

Any chance you could share a link to the online form your council uses for MerIt Badge Counselors to add/drop badges?

Greg Buchanan, SVMBC

Yes. I thought it was a Google Docs form, but it is a 247Scouting / ScoutingEvent / BlackPug form. If you donā€™t use BlackPug in your council, it wonā€™t work as well.

@Matt.Johnson so does the system auto send to the correct district person? What if District is left blank? Inquiring registrars want to know

Matt,
Someone did a nice job on that form. Appreciate your sending it along. Unfortunately, we donā€™t use BlackPug out here in Silicon Valley.

Greg

Iā€™m finding out. So far, what I heard, it goes directly to the registrar. They confirm that the MBC is registered and current. Then they send it to the district advancement chair. I assume, but donā€™t know, that it must go back to the registrar to close the loop. Not sure yet. Asked.

Maybe someone could do the same in google forms? Not sure, but you could use it as a template. It is a bit long, but it gets the job done.

Looks like a good form. And since it is already in BlackPug is may be a no-cost item for scouts.
My question is the same as already asked: ā€œHow is the vetting of a counselorā€™s qualifications verified?ā€ It should be done in your case (and mine) by the district MB guru. Iā€™ve been known to not approve a counselor for a specific subject, so Iā€™d want some process before the registrar makes a move.
PT

One possibility using Google forms is to export to a spreadsheet from the form responses. That might make it easier to then take the spreadsheet contents and re-export/process (if needed) into a format thatā€™s compatible with the relevant data entry process (e.g. reorder data columns to match entry screen, etc).

Yes, that is the process. It is one of the main efforts of the district advancement chair. The form automates the form, but it is still up to the judgement of the district advancement chair to ok the MBC for a particular MB.

Iā€™m going to pass this on to our council adv cmte (of which iā€™m member). There are a couple of additional lines that are needed (ex. unit number). I like to see the full list of MBs each time so iā€™d change ā€œAdd or Dropā€ to ā€œCurrent(keep), Add, Dropā€. Iā€™d also change the Vocation, Avocation, Special Training boxes (which are from the info form of 20 yrs ago) to Qualifications, and iā€™d add a box for Certification for those MBs that require Certificates.
Thanks for posting this.
Pete