Automatic Scoutbook Update Observations and Questions

Georg
If you are talking about entering in ScoutNET, then you would put the day prior to the recharter date for merit badge counselors in the expire date field. So if your council recharters MBCs and districts on May 1, you would put April 30, 2021 for the expires date.
If someone drops early, you would just update that expires date to the date they dropped, and that will remove them from the system.

You should check with your registrar on how to do this. You don’t enter anything into Scoutbook, the MBC automatically comes into Scoutbook.

If that isn’t what you were referring to, please let us know what system you are talking about when you say “merit badge section.”

on ScoutNet the merit badge counselor section is where merit badges are assigned and this is separate from membership section. the membership section is where people are registered in various position and all expire on recharter date ever year. I’m assuming that if your are not renewed as a merit counselor then scoutbook will not pick you up as a merit badge counselor in case I forget to fill in expired date in the merit badge counselor section

Georg,
OK, I don’t know if you need to put an expire date in there or not. Probably not. It is the MBC membership that expires. For MBs you put the expire date in when they want to drop that badge. But best if you ask your Registrar and she can reach out to BSA IT support for assistance, we aren’t ScoutNET experts here.

The red note in the manage approved MBC list says we can download the current file, make changes and upload. I downloaded the file and attempted to correct one of the several name duplications. I had one person there 4 times, one with several merit badges and 3 with only Chess. I added Chess to the one with a list of badges and deleted the remaining 3 rows, saved, and uploaded. The result was Chess was deleted from the 3 rows with the name still showing 3 times with no merit badges and the one entry with the several badges did not include Chess. This person was in the data base before Monday, so will the multiple listings of him continue to show for 3-4 months?

I asked a ScoutNET expert (he maintains the system)
He said, yes you do not put in the expire date
Here is his full reply
"Yes. To avoid confusion, let me say that it is the MB_Counselor button and not the Merit Badges button on the Advancement/Training tab of the Person Record Form.

The Badge is selected from the pick list with only the effective date entered.

I mention this because once in a great while a Council has entered the Counselor’s badges to the wrong list."

You cannot change names with the upload
the ONLY thing you can do with the upload is to change merit badges.

DO NOT DELETE ROWS or IDs or Names

bill

Also note your changes are only in Scoutbook
so if you keep the MBs in ScoutNET, then ONLY make changes in ScoutNET

I was talking with a committee chair in my District who is our most knowledgeable user of Scoutbook about the changes that have just been made. She’s had a problem with counselors in her Troop going into their profile and adding merit badges. Yesterday (Wednesday) morning in telling her that problem was fixed, she was able to go into her merit badge position and add merit badges. She only had one try at it as when I asked her to try a second time, the list of merit badges failed to present.

How do we consolidate name entries with the same or different merit badges into one entry. I have a few with as many as 5 entries.

Contact your council registrar

I will update the helps on this.

If the council didn’t upload the list in the past. Then people can still change their badges. Once the council uploads the list once. That will be locked. OR wait until Feb of next year when we lock it for everyone.

Reach out to me at Suacinformation@gmail.com
If you wish to discuss

I did the upload of our MBC list on the weekend before the Scoutnet synchronization started. The email I got back said to look at my Dashboard for confirmation. I see that my list is uploaded by I was wondering if there was a message or file of the changes that were made? All I see is the drop downs for what was changed but I can’t copy that information for offline analysis. Looking for help in getting what was changed where I can save it.
Thanks

There isn’t a report of the specific changes other than what you see on the screen.
We really do recommend you make all your changes in ScoutNET going forward.

@GaryJarkewicz When I was uploading to update Scoutbook, I routinely expanded the sections on the results page, highlighted the names and badges, copied them to the clipboard and then pasted them into a document. If I was feeling ambitious I would edit them into a CSV file and open it in excel.

Welcome to the forum.

When trying to upload our MBC list (using the new format) to Scoutbook I continuously get this error:
We encountered an error processing your file, please try again later. Please press the Finish button.
I’ve been trying to do this for the last 2-3 days with no luck. Is this just broken now? I checked the format of my data and it is in the new version.

Try the following:
Download the file on the page (the current list)
then leave the headers, but replace the data with what you are trying to upload.
Then try again.
if you still have issues, send me an email with your contact info and a good time to call: suacinformation@gmail.com

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.