BSA Web Links - Training Validation tool not working

The concept of a MB Dean is not universal. I assume, though, they report to the District Advancement Chair? That chair, if registered as such, would have access to what you want/need! These reports are exportable as csv files into excel! Both the training and YPT reports are available!

See the mega grid attached. I only have it as a graphic and covered it to pdf. Excel would be nice.

I do not know how old it is.

District Permission Grid.pdf (2.4 MB)

Yeah, for some reason there isn’t an “Advancement Committee Member” listed in the Registration Guidebook. I think there used to be (73M seems like the logical code), but I was told it was dropped in a quickly-aborted attempt to trim the position list.

I believe in our council (and certainly in my district) we’ve used the “Neighborhood Committee” position, which is otherwise unused, to register district advancement committee members. According to your matrix, they really don’t have any useful permissions. Neither does the Member at Large.

Looking at the latest version of the Registration Guidebook, it appears that national is trying to further divide and clarify registered positions (p. 24) from functional roles (p. 38). It would be great if they could finish and streamline the process, including adding back Advancement committee member.

I’d love to see us move to individuals managing their own registration, and unit/district/council leaders assigning roles. But that’s an entirely different discussion.

Thanks, all. Here’s a version with a lot of the white space elided. (Sage, is the Registration Guidebook a public document?)
DistrictPermissionGrid.pdf (788.8 KB)

YiS,
Michael

Yes. It is linked off a Commissioner page.

Commissioner Manuals and Resources | Boy Scouts of America (scouting.org)

Assuming the relevant column is “Training Manager: Reports”, then it appears in Advancement only the District Advancement Chair has access…all the others are Training Committee, Commissioner, or Professional related. (I will note that when serving as District and Council Advancement Chair, there was no mention of online tools or reports.)

So, the Advancement chairs can pull the reports for their MB deans. Nice! Self-serve would be better, but this works in the meantime.

As I understand it, district members of committees are registered as District Member-at-Large, then assigned a functional role for their committee. The result is:

1. All committee members take the same training - online modules providing about five hours of instruction on what the various committees do as part of the district organization. Committee chairs have additional committee specific training.
  2. Each committee member has a functional role assigned for their committee. This role allows them to access reports for their committee.

Each MB Dean, as part of the Advancement Committee, would be a district Member-at-Large, with a functional role as advancement committee member. Adding an additional functional role as training committee member would allow them access to training reports.

Yes. We would have to get alignment to this change and then get in line for it to be implemented, but this would be the cleanest. In the meantime, the chair can provide the reports “outside of the system”.

In the past, I don’t think this was necessarily always the case. For example, while I was chair, we had folks who were district Advancement or Training committee members, who would have run screaming if they were registered as MaL/DOC members.

Same holds true at the council level. You have an Executive Board, which often includes many (though often not all) council committee chairs, but relatively few council committee members.

Then you layer on the fact that many council committee members hold their positions by virtue of being the chairs of their respective district committees, and your head just starts to spin.

Having too many roles, positions and org-charts can definitely get in the way of getting things done. So I’m not saying it has to be this way, which is why I really hope we can further separate registration (to the origination as a whole) from role (to as many levels/positions as one wants) one day.

Things affecting BSA® Merit Badge Counselor training management

My opinion (subject to change) in reply to:

I agree.

I have been assuming that a Meirt Badge Dean is a merit badge counselor cordinator that is responsible for the training of Merit Badge Counselors.

Different views

The following have different views of the organization:

• National
    • Registration - position code
    • Registration - functional role code
    • my Scouting tools access
    • Scoutbook tools access

People on district staff (volunters)

• District members at large are elected annual positions
  • Charter Organization Reprentatives are automatically members of the District Operation Committee.
  • Council members at large are also members of the district committee that includes where they live
  • Not all members of district committees are required to be district members at large per the national model. Ask your council what their rules are.

Registration

• It can be argued that
    • a district member badge counselor coordination is a council function and that a district merit badge counselor coordinator should be registered as a council committee member.
    • A merit badge dean was historically the person responsible for the training of merit badge counselors.and should be a member of the training committee in my Scouting Tools

District Advancement Committee Responsibilites

Per natioanal model in

• Boy Scouts of America. District Operations Handbook - Roles and Responsibilities of the Operating Committee and the Commissioner Staff - a Handbook for District Operations. 2012 Printing ed. Irving, Tex.: Boy Scouts of America Inc., ©2007. PDF. https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/mission/pdf/34739.pdf.

District Advancement and Recognition Committee
Major Tasks of the Advancement and Recognition Committee Chair and Members
9. Recruit and train an adequate group of merit badge
counselors for the district.

Merit badge counselor management

• Council and geographic based district unit service and support
    • council/district needs can vary
    • councils might have rules that incorrectly assume all districts are the same.
    • a district may have no, one or more people managing merit badge support
  • Merit badge counselor management primary needs are:
    • initial approval of which merit badges a merit badge counselor can support
    • maintaining lists of merit badge counselor by merit badge
    • recording of merit badges completed by a Scout
  • basic training of merit badge couselors

District staff training

• Unit and Roundtable Commissioner training is controlled by the Commissioner Corps
  • District Committee in person training workshop has been discontinued and replaced by online training

Merit Badge Counselor Coordinator Training

• needed training is different for recruiting and training

2022-01-25-B DRAFT, Some spelling corrected 2022-02-10-A

Hello! The training validation tool seems to be down again. I’m getting an error every time I try to search an ID#. I get an error when I try to use the quick search as well. Here is the error message for the validation tool:

Server Error in ‘/TrainingValidation’ Application.

Cannot open database “ELearning2” requested by the login. The login failed.

Login failed for user ‘AKELAOLTPUser’.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database “ELearning2” requested by the login. The login failed.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

`[SqlException (0x80131904): Cannot open database “ELearning2” requested by the login. The login failed.

There’s a whole page of system.* lines to go along with it, but it’s way too long to post here.

The error I get when using the quick search - HTTP Method post not allowed for : /{id}

Any insight any of you can give?

@RonaldBlaisdell See BSA Web Links - Training Validation tool not working - #136 by DeniseDickson

As far as I know, the Training Validation Tool, which worked on ScoutNet, is no longer active. In fact, there is no link to it inside My.Scouting under BSA Web Tools. I am checking, and will report back.

It was still working 3 weeks ago when I was checking training before summer camp. I had the site bookmarked, so I never realized the link had disappeared from the my.scouting menus. Thanks for checking on this!

@RonaldBlaisdell - i am reasonably sure that any links to scoutnet should no longer work as that wss decommissioned. They most likely need to remove extraneous links in MYST

Has there been any indication that a similar replacement tool will (or will not) be deployed in the future, or is that functionality only going to be available through the Betty chatbot at my.scouting? I’ll admit that the automatic CSV download for long lists is handy, but I suspect most folks wouldn’t think to click on the chatbot to accomplish that task.

ETA: Even a landing page announcement pointing to the chatbot for that purpose would be helpful.

To quote a great TV line… “he’s dead Jim”

It has come on and off and on again for me for last few weeks. Two days ago I got the same error message, today (August 11) it is back.

https://scoutnet.scouting.org/TrainingValidation/

So, there is a security issue, so don’t expect the tool to live much longer. I suggest you start using the ChatBot for your training searches.

I have made a suggestion that a post on the welcome page would be a good idea.

1 Like

The one major advantage is that it the chatbot requires the BSA ID whereas with the old scoutnet I can run off email addresses. It also helps for new or potential adult leaders to see what training they have on the fly.