ScoutBook is duplicating Merit Badge counselors on Council Upload

Michael,

7.0.2.3 does not say the list may contain MBCs that have not be approved by the Council. Since my Council will not approve any MBC that wants to work with only a single unit, there would be no such MBCs to put on a list a unit maintains.

1 Like

Until someone in National issues an opinion, we’ll have to agree to disagree on the interpretation of this section. I believe the intent is clear
restrictions are an individual decision, not a Council’s. I don’t think the GTA would argue against such restriction, in so many places, if it were not meant to be a permitted feature. I also do not see this criteria listed as one Councils may use in approving counselors. In my view, your Council is exceeding its authority, but (alas), I am not the Grand Poobah of Merit Badge Minutia!

But think of all the headaches you’re avoiding by not being Grand High Poobah, @MichaelMerritt2. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just to throw in an interesting wrinkle, I believe that ScoutNet will charge a membership fee for someone registered is a Unit Only Counselor if they are not a multiple. Hence the position code 42F.

Greg

What is the F in position code 42F?

In reply to:

The “F” indicates the MBC is paying to receive the Scouting magazine.

Merit Badge Counselor Registration

Ref: Registration Guidebook of the BSA, July 2019. page 24.

Merit Badge Counselors

In order to register, merit badge counselors (position 42) must be at least 18 years old and must complete an adult application including a criminal background authorization form, complete the Merit Badge Counselor Information form (No. 34405, see Appendix) specifying which merit badges they are qualified to teach, and take Youth Protection training. See the Guide to Advancement for qualifications of counselors.

Merit badge counselors who wish to receive Scouting magazine must pay a registration fee and be registered as position 42F—Merit badge counselor—with fee.

Approval of Merit Badge Counselors

I reference to:

For related guide extracts see:

@JenniferOlinger - Thanks for the correction. Fixed error. I got confused when I added the Boys’s Life info. Now removed to simplify my response.

1 Like

Bill_W,
I appreciate your presentation of all relevant statutory materials. I invite counsel and interested parties to prepare briefs on “may councils refuse to approve counselors who wish to restrict themselves to individual units, districts, zip codes, or zodiac signs.” The Clerk of the SCOTGTA (Supreme Court of the Guide to Advancement) will be asked to place this case on the docket and announce the date in the usual manner. (This being Advancement, a random web page.) Request for a temporary stay is denied. Disputants to tape bitcoin for all court costs to a 1963 Dodge Dart and leave in my driveway.
Michael

3 Likes

Ed,
AS NOTED ABOVE, THIS DOCUMENTATION IS NOW UPDATED
The upload function and associated documentation have re-emerged. I note the documentation has not been updated
it contains a lot of outdated, erroneous information, and as noted here, is incomplete. I’d be happy to help create an updated version. It would be a shame to have the useful information in this thread languish when it expires. Please let me know whether/how I can help.
All the best,
Michael

Michael,

I sent you a direct message. Click you avatar in the upper right corner of your screen.

When we start uploading MBC into Scoutbook, is there a check with Akela to verify that they are registered as a Merit Badge Counselor (Code 42) in our Council?

The reason I ask is that Member Services has only renewed the Membership of 5 out of our 21 District Charters (expired 12/31/19), which include the MBCs. I don’t want to upload the file and have them kicked out because their membership as a Merit Badge Counselor has expired.

Thanks @KennethAdams. Any others you know about?

Yes - Motor Boating vs. Motorboating.

I uploaded our latest MBC list and most of the problems I reported have been resolved. Thank you to the Support staff.

Greg - Same here. I did a second upload of the same file just now and it cleared up most of the rest.

At 4:30pm on 5/8/2020 I uploaded my Council Master MBC list again. This time it completed successfully and it added all the new badges. It was a good, clean Update!

Thank you to the support staff for taking care of this problem.

Greg Buchanan

1 Like

Gregory,

Thanks for working these issues with support. All problems id’d by you, troubleshoot by volunteers and support, fixed by the developers, and confirmed by you is a service to all councils!

@GregoryBuchanan - I also want to thank you for your time and effort in making the process better for all. It is a lesson for all of us. Working to improve things to the benefit of all rather than giving up and walking away.

Hi folks. I want to get the word out
the MBC upload is broken again. (I have asked it be disabled until fixed.) IMPORTANT: Don’t overwrite your upload file!

Specifically, I found the logic to remove or add badges is broken. The messaging says the updates are being made, but the subsequent download shows they are not. Since the upload and download files have the same name, and the messages says the expected updates are happening, there is danger of users downloading the erroneous file over what they are trying to upload.

A ticket has been sent and escalated.

@MichaelMerritt2 What is the ticket number?