WYSIWYG Messages

@SteveCagigas - thank for reminding me that the new forums are huge improvements over the legacy forums and it reduces the payload on scoutbook services.

I for one would like scoutbook to add a basic text editor for messaging/calendar event notes. While there are alternatives outside scoutbook, having everything in a single location/app makes it easier for leaders and parents. And between general messages and event reminders these are things we use frequently.

Even while acknowledging limited resources, it would seem a basic text editor would be an easy add.

1 Like

Sure, everything is an easy add if you’re not the one doing the work. That’s the Dilbert concept of program management.

Fair, but I bet he means relatively so given the number of editors that could be plugged in vs built from scratch.

It’s a bit off topic, but we could lobby BSA for more resources if there aren’t a sufficient amount. Scoutbook could be a wonderful thing to manage and improve scouting, and it’s likely the biggest item of impact BSA could do given it chose the platform.

1 Like

Sure, BSA IT can divert their very limited resources from program-touching improvements to dink around with a new editor to replace the perfectly serviceable one that’s already deployed.
/s

Honestly, while a WYSIWYG editor would be nice, it’s low, low, low priority. First things that affect Scout records directly need to be addressed, then the Scoutbook modules that aren’t perfectly serviceable (ahem, CALENDAR) need to be addressed. Then we can talk about improving things that already work perfectly well, even if they have a little learning curve.

2 Likes

If things work incorrectly, those would certainly be the priority, but this is a forum on feature requests. I get it, you don’t care about it and it’s a triple-low priority for you. Probably those who spend a ton of time on forums don’t care a ton either. There are hundreds of thousands of BSA volunteers, and getting usability workable so we get a lot more use is really important. I’m hearing volunteers complain about this basic thing as well, so I’m relaying it.

There are at least a dozen open source WYSIWYG editors out there…

1 Like

@JonathanSchalliol - I appreciate the desire to have what YOU want and the 100k leaders you have spoken to want, but as I think it has been noted these requests are on the backlog. The BSA sets the priority of work and this is out of most of our control. An endless whining and complaining will not push it any further.

Stephen, I’m not sure why you and Steve are trying to be inflammatory here. I made a request, of which some other people have said would be useful. What’s the value of talking it down (again and again in some cases).

Is there a priority list out there to review? It’s not clear to me that the people here are informed about development priorities or time it would take to implement this feature.

The BSA does not publish their priority list. The SUAC passes along suggested enhancements, and the BSA determines priorities. I think some of the comments others have made are simply intended to keep you from getting your hopes up too high.

1 Like

Thanks. Let’s try to keep the tone here positive, folks. If the SUAC can list the enhancement requests proposed and also mention a few with a special level of interest, that would be great. Assuming the developers are using current standards, they would assign points (developer effort units) and then could weigh the resource vs. benefit when determining which to implement.

I think we’re all clear on what the request is, the potential workarounds, and some divergent views on the importance of the improvement.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.