Added email distribution list - who not parent or leader

Well, as long as units don’t turn their noses up when the council comes asking for FOS donations or popcorn sales. The cost is just moved vs eliminated. It also would be best for those MBC to be council wise vs “unit only”.

1 Like

As @Matt.Johnson reminds, that just moves the cost, it doesn’t eliminate it. I know a ton of units that get passive aggressive when it comes time for fundraising (including some of the adult leaders in my own units). It’s not fair to anyone to game the system to avoid the expenses.

Merit badge counselors are not showing up in Scoutbook messaging.

Merit Badge Counselors are not registered with the unit. They are registered with the district or Council. Unless an MBC is a registered leader with your unit or a parent of a Scout in your unit, they will not appear on your send message list.

2 Likes

We have Facebook messenger. One is for committee members only to discuss business in between meetings. Only committee members have access to this. We have a messenger for troop (also one for pack) The only ones who have access are scouts (with parent permissions) parents and leaders. This is for reminders and updates between meetings. Then we have have our fb page where scout families, community members and scouts (with parent permission) can see our activities. IMhonestO, unless a person falls into the category of current scout parent, committee member or leader, there isn’t a need for people outside of Scouting to be involved in the running of the troop or pack. If an outside person wants to fill a vacancy as a leader or committee member, then go through with YP and other trainings and fill the vacancy.

I have this sitution in my unit. 2 folks are not registered but help out. 1. is our brunswick stew coordinator she is their 2 times a year. She did take YPT and is current in that training.

2.is the founding SM, he is no longer registered but enjoys reading the emails. He does not come to any events he just enjoys keeping updated with the going ons.

To fix this I have made them parents of the 2 dummy scouts that were created for the feature extension accounting feature scouts and it seems to work.

As a unit chairperson I welcome active parents to participate, however, after their son graduate out of the unit they must register as a leader for the YPT and background checks. To do otherwise puts the Scouts, Leaders, Council, and National at risk.

2 Likes

While you have found a technical loophole, there is no such policy loophole.

2 Likes

Prevention of child abuse applies before their child “graduates out of the unit”…

Re: youth safety

It is my understanding that in general any parent participating in a traditional Scouting program and having direct contact with children not their own is required to complete Youth Protection training (YPT). However there are two deep-leadership rules that apply with some variation depending on the activity: For more see:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.