Can I add an unregistered user to Scoutbook?

I found it odd that my Unit Commissioner wasn’t already attached to the Pack. Last year I searched for him and manually added him. It worked for me, about a year ago.

That was lost on me above. It does seem to be a “simple” request.

It does seem like a no brainer for this to be “default”.

The issue is not everyone has a positive relationship with their commissioners.

I think the issue with defaulting this is that not all districts/units want to have a commish with direct access into the unit (e.g. the ability to message youth/parents). Tracking things like advancement and activities is one thing. The ability for an “outside” person to reach out to the families has the potential to raise hackles pretty quickly.

Units (reasonably IMHO) want to have a degree of control over what and how many messages are going out to families, if for no other reason than to minimize messaging fatigue. Adult unit scouters who aren’t complying with unit policies are subject to action by the chartering org. As has been pointed out before, however, the commish doesn’t report to the unit Key 3/chartering org. They report to the district. As such, there’s not much that a unit can really do to “manage” their commish, and it’s open to debate if the commish is obliged to comply with unit policies (not being a unit scouter).

Great point. My UC wouldn’t do this, but they could easily pass on all district/council activities that conflict with unit activities.

Yeah, most UCs are perfectly reasonable scouters who have often served (or still serve) their own units, so they “get it”. It’s just that once in a while you get someone whose interactions with the unit aren’t as helpful as they are aiming for, and that kind of friction being facilitated by default is not something that I think units would get behind. It sounds reasonable from an organizational perspective, but I think that a “voluntary roll-out” (e.g. districts saying they’d like units to add their UC to the unit contact list) is likely to generate good data on whether or not it causes more problems than it resolves.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.