Cannot add sub-unit leaders to an event in bulk

The “+Leaders” level on a subunit does nothing.

Are there leaders assigned to the specific subunit (e.g. Den Leaders/Den Admins/Patrol Admins)?

Yes. I would not have reported an issue if there was no issue.

In addition, adding parents to a sub unit does not add the parents who are also leaders.

In my case, I have 6 leaders in the troop roster. The +Leaders button is not adding one of the leaders. This person is listed as Patrol Admin for a patrol, Asst Scoutmaster for that same lateol, Troop Admin, and Asst Scoutmaster with no designated patrol.

The other leaders that ARE added properly are COR, Committee Chair , 2 Committee Members and Scoutmaster. I can’t for the life of me see why the Asst SM won’t get added.

Is there a known related bug? I can only add that missing leader as a parent. The problem is that I have an event where it will be her and I (as Scoutmaster) but it won’t let me create it because it thinks there’s no 2 deep leadership.

@ChristianIrias I think for your example that patrol ASM is assigned to the patrol - so not on list for whole unit - I know there was a meeting today over this logic today.

I wasn’t trying to be snarky. I just can’t replicate the issue, and was trying to figure out if there were different “boundary conditions” that were impacting it.

So far, the add-all works for me whether it’s “Leaders”, “Scouts” or “Parents”. I also get the Leader/Parents to add with just the “Parents” add-all.

ETA: I also created an event for a patrol with no assigned scouters, and that seemed to work, too. Maybe @DonovanMcNeil or another SUAC member could try a screenshare with you to see if they can spot something that’s not obvious from the description?

I thought the same, which is why I added the additional role of Troop Admin and Assistant Scoutmaster with no sub designation to a Patrol. That still didn’t solve it.

I tried changing instead to their patrol subunit and that person gets added as Parent only. Not a leader. So it’s still wrong even at the patrol level.

Additionally, I had created 2 events yesterday and those DID add her as a leader so I’m more perplexed.

Additional info:
Event ID 5769525 worked as expected

New events do not work as expected.

There is definitely something funky here.

Our setup is that we just added a girl troop paired to a boy troop with a shared committee.

The COR and 2 Committee Members are all leaders and are parents of boys only. In new events for the girl troop, the 2 committee members get added with both the Leader and Parent badges. The COR, which is ALSO a parent of a boy like the CMs, only shows a Leader badge. I would expect to all NOT have a parent badge since they are not parents of scouts in the Girl troop, or to all have a parent badge because they’re parents of scouts in associated units

I’m a committee member in the boy troop and SM of the girl troop and my roles show as expected as far as I can tell when adding new events in either unit.

For a subunit ONLY event:

Below SELECT ALL OPTIONS:

+ ALL YOUTH: Adds all youth associated with that sub-unit

+ LEADERS: Adds all unit leaders

+ PARENTS?GUARDIANS: Adds all parents who are associated with that sub-unit and all unit leaders who are also a parent of anyone in the whole unit

Below SUB UNITS (N):

SELECT ALL : Adds all youth, leaders, and parents associated with that sub-unit

+ All Youth: Adds all youth associated with that sub-unit

+ Leaders: Does nothing

+ Parents/Guardians: Adds all non-leader parents associated with that sub-unit

@JoeMcKinley , out of curiosity, is your case also a situation with multiple units and shared leaders?

My case is that the 1 leader, the ASM, is NOT a leader in the boy troop, so I’m wondering if that’s somehow a factor.

no. Single unit

20 character minimum

For a unit level event:

Below SELECT ALL OPTIONS:

+ ALL YOUTH: Adds all youth

+ LEADERS: Adds all leaders

+ PARENTS?GUARDIANS: Adds all parents

Below SUB UNITS (N):

SELECT ALL : Adds all youth, leaders, and parents associated with that sub-unit

If you duplicate a sub-unit event…

Below SUB UNITS (1):

SELECT ALL : Does nothing

+ All Youth: Does nothing

+ Parents/Guardians: Does nothing

Until you hit + SELECT ALL under INVITEES / ATTENDEES…Then

Another test, I logged in as the ASM who I’m having issues with when using my account, and everything works as expected for both leaders and parents.

• The ASM and I both show up as both leaders and parents.
  • The other leaders show as just leaders even though several of them have children in the boy troop. (While logged in to the girl troop they show only as leaders, not parents)

@JoeMcKinley , perhaps other leaders in your units hav the correct functionality?

Thanks for the clarifications. I couldn’t understand where the “Select All Leaders” option was that wasn’t working, since the top level version (under “Select All Options”) seemed to be OK when I tried it.

I am seeing the same behavior as you describe whether or not there are leaders associated with the subunit (patrol in my case). It looks like SUAC should probably raise @JoeMcKinley’s issue with developers as a bug, @DonovanMcNeil.

Warning: Here be opinions!

I think that the function of the “Select All Leaders” outside of the subunit (even for a subunit event) is probably correct, since not every unit (aside from packs) assigns leaders to the subunits. Even for packs, not every den has an assistant leader assigned, and might be relying on a committee member, CM/ACM, or den leader from another den to fill the “second registered scouter 21+” role.

The context-sensitive behavior of the “Subunit (N)” version of Select All Leaders seems broken. It seems like there are (at least) two approaches to the fix.

One approach is that Select All Leaders in the “Subunit (N)” context adds only those leaders actually assigned to the subunit. That would mean:

1. Nobody is added by that button if a unit doesn’t assign someone,
  2. If only one scouter is assigned to the subunit, then only one person would be added by that button.
  3. If multiple scouters are assigned to the subunit, all of them would be added by that button.
  4. For Case 2, the second registered scouter 21+ would need to be added either by hitting Select All Leaders at the “Select All Options” level, then removing any superfluous scouters, or by using Add Individual to pick the added scouter(s). This assumes that none of the subunit parents (assuming they are added) is also a registered scouter 21+.

A second approach might be to have “Select All Leaders” add all unit-level leaders in all contexts, irrespective of whether there are scouters assigned to the subunit. This means more work “removing” people who wouldn’t actually be invited the meeting but get added in this approach.

“Select All Parents” seems like it should only add parents associated with the subunit(s) for whom the event is created, not include non-subunit adults who tick both the parent and leader boxes, whether for the “Select All Options” or “Subunit (N)” version.

It looks like Select All Youth is working correctly (i.e. context sensitive) for both the “Select All Options” and “Subunit (N)” versions.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.