Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Communicating effectively in the Scouting Forums

I and others may not be communicating effectively in the Scouting Forums or to appear we are courteous (when we are) when using short messages in the forums. Posting in the forums is not like “texting” where you can have real-time two-way communications.

Any ideas about how to appear we are courteous when posting in the forums?

A communicating effectively idea

One of the challenges of online forums, email, and other forms of text communications is that we need to do more:

• I read what you wrote. From that I think you meant …
  • The writer can then respond “yes, that is what I meant” or “no, what I meant was …”
  • The reader can then “yes you understood what I wrote”

If that is not done, we have not communicated effectively.

It is also more polite (“A Scout is courteous. Be polite to everyone and always use good manners.”) than debating using the “I am right and you are wrong” method.

The above method is not mine. It is a method I read about somewhere related to spoken language. There maybe more than one source. Do we have something about effective communications in Scouting leadership training?

My conclusion

My conclusion is that “debating” by writing is not necessarily “effective communications”. It is difficult to appear that you are being courteous when using short messages to communicate in the forums.

Reminder

This forum is a publicly readable forum.

Let us also remember “This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.