Merit Badge completion notifications

Is there a way to get a notification that is sent to a Scout or Unit Advancement Chairman/Scoutmaster when a Merit Badge Counselor marks a merit badge as completed? I know that if I pull up a Needs Approval listing, it will show up there. But if I don’t know that it’s there, I don’t look. If the Scout turns in a physical blue card, I obviously know that the badge requirements have been met, but I don’t know when the requirements are signed off in Scoutbook.

1 Like

The only notice Scoutbook provides that an award is waiting to be approved is via the Needs Approval report. If the report menu has a # next to the Needs Approval, Needs Purchasing or Needs Awarding reports, there is one or more items needing attention.

Yes, I see that but those hash marks show up even if there is nothing in those sections to be approved, purchased, or awarded. They are always there regardless of their status. For example, I currently have nothing to be purchased or awarded yet I still have the hash marks present when I click the Troop Reports menu.

are you a leader in more than one unit?

No. I am only a leader in one unit.

We are checking with the developers to determine how the # is set on the Needs awards.

Have you tried clearing your cache to see what happens?

Clearing the cache did not work. However, this is away from the point of my original question.

Is there a way to get a notification that is sent to a Scout or Unit Advancement Chairman/Scoutmaster when a Merit Badge Counselor marks a merit badge as completed?

Scoutbook does not have a method to notify leaders when requirements are completed other than the # on the reports menu. There is an issue with the logic that implements the #. The developers are working on a fix.

It’s really the SCOUT’s responsibility to say “Hey, I finished this Merit Badge!” not the counselor’s, whether they’re turning in a blue card or telling them to look at the results in Scoutbook.

Steve, I agree, and in the unit where I am the Advancement Coordinator, a Scouts emails both the Scoutmaster and me when he completes a merit badge using Scoutbook blue cards. The Scoutmaster approves it and then I send it to the purchase order and so on.

However, as the District Advancement Chairman, when a unit asks a question, I have to try to find an answer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.