Sample IA2 TXT File (for import)

Except when that file is rejected, many people (maybe not you) will send an e-mail to the BSA asking why the file was rejected and expect someone to explain the reason.

Even if we had it, the SUAC is not permitted to provide this data.

To be honest the original scoutnet advancement files were realm of the original tracking applications. The legacy IA like the new version requires authentication in order to upload the file so it has never been a blind slam a file. The older providers prided themselves as being scoutnet certified. I an not certain how best to work your desire. I get that you want your own solution but indeed you have to work in the window given you.

Trendecide, Read your post and seems you are having to do extra stuff because someone is not interested in learning scoutbook. When I first started using it, I was not sure about it, but just like anything else, one learns it as they use it. It has questions you can ask on how do i do this and get responses. It is even easier to use now than ever. I know my response is not an answer to your post. I just wanted to say they are not giving it a fair chance.

Has anyone here found anything specific to how a third party contacts BSA to get access to the Upload parameters? I am working with the vendor of the system we use and cannot find anywhere how to get the information from BSA.

@AaronStorey what system is that?

We have been using TroopTrack.com.

pretty sure staff has talked to them but I will check

Thanks, from speaking with them it did not seem as though they had any information about dealing with IA 2.0.

@AaronStorey it appears Troop Track has chosen to not contact BSA IT yet - I am seeing if there is an email that can be shared - if so I will DM you.

I believe we (all the units I’ve been involved with) have given Scoutbook more fair chances than it deserves. It is not a viable solution for us, nor will it ever be should it continue to be developed as it has been.

Just like anything else? Oh the analogies and arguments that could be made on that remark alone. Lets avoid that since that’s not the point here.

Nevertheless, subjecting my co-volunteers to the “learning it as they use it” method has never gone over well with me, particularly since that always makes me the micromanager for at least a certain period of time. I’ll be courteous and kind and leave it at: the learning curve of Scoutbook is much steeper than it should be. And point blank, ALL the parents loathe it with the utmost distaste, and avoid it like the plague. Personally, I’m tech savvy and could care less what’s used for tracking advancement so long as I’m not doing it (there’s a chairman for that), but I shouldn’t have to retrain a new advancement chair annually (yes, I’ve had advancement chairs quit over Scoutbook, which they all do not like) and I’d honestly prefer parents bother me about issues that were relevant to the scouting program. I have the knowledge to make this problem go away [for my unit]. So I asked a simple question, that sparked a myriad of snarky remarks (from one person really) before I got an answer. A simple “no” would have sufficed from the beginning.

I’m happy to see Scoutbook is working for you [and many others]. Thank you for your reply.

Again, I’ll continue my search and any help would be most welcome and greatly appreciated. I may just reverse engineer it for my own entertainment at this point.

Apparently the forum doesn’t have Direct messaging enabled or I don’t have it at my level. Do you have DM capability?

Ok…I located the last of my upload files and they were csv files configured for IA1.0 which would not be helpful for you at all.

1 Like

You could try:

https://help.scoutbook.com/submit-a-ticket/

Certainly but the advancement upload ability is offered to the current providers of unit management. While I understand and appreciate the desire to self govern the process it still must be done in a way that causes no issues for the scouts.

try this: trendecide@hotmail

Why not just remove/hide the Import File link if it is not meant for use? Trendecide….I thought it was a reasonable question.

The link is needed for units that use 3rd party tools such as Troopmaster™ and Packmaster™ for tracking their advancement. The file format has been released to 3rd party tool vendors so they can upload the advancement file. The BSA is not planning to make the file format publicly available.

Gotcha. We are a Troop Master unit.

No worries. Thanks for the effort! I’ll figure it out.

Have you had any luck with a sample txt file?