Update text of "Committee Chairman" position to "Committee Chair"

For what it’s worth, about two weeks ago, it was first mentioned on this topic that other core documents outside of Scoutbook might need to be updated first.

At that time, I opened a parallel request with the BSA National Service Center for updates to be made to both the Renewal Application Instructions Form (2013) and the Registration Guidebook (2019) based on the suggestions provided. I added BSA Rules and Regulations (2018) to that list today.

Hoping that helps us get to a point where the prerequisites for this feature request can be met.

1 Like
  1. What is the member care/help desk (JIRA) ticket number?
  1. Submitting requests to the Member Care help desk is not the established methods defined in the BYLAWS to amend the bylaws or rules and regulations,

2. I think we need to identify which documents are using “Chairman”. Starting from the top down. Per national CHARTER AND BYLAWS OF THE BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA, June 2019, ©2019 Boy Scouts of America, 100-491, June 2019 Printing:

a. The job title “Chairman” is not used in the CHARTER, Sixty-Fourth Congress of the United States of America, At the First Session Begun and Held at the City of Washington On Monday, the Sixth Day of December One Thousand Nine Hundred and Fifteen, AN ACT, To Incorporate the Boy Scouts of America and for Other Purposes

b. Both “Chair” and “Chairman” appear in the
BYLAWS - ARTICLE III, SECTION 1:

Special Members
Clause 4.

• The Chairman of the Advisory Council,
  • the President of the National Eagle Scout Association,
  • the Chairman of the Order of the Arrow Committee,
  • a designated representative of the Board of the National Boy Scouts of America Foundation, and
  • the Chairman of Learning for Life

shall serve as ex officio voting members of the Executive Board during their 1-year terms …

BYLAWS—ARTICLE XIII, SECTION 2

AMENDMENT OF BYLAWS
Section 2.
Procedures
Clause 1. These Bylaws may be amended at any meeting of the Executive Board by the affirmative vote of a majority of the whole Executive Board; upon the recommendation of the Executive Committee of the Executive Board; or when the proposed amendment has been sent to the members of the Executive Board at least 15 days in advance of the meeting.

1. For bylaws pertaining to rules and regulations see my next post.

BSA Bylaws pertaining to rules and regulations

Per national CHARTER AND BYLAWS OF THE BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA, June 2019, ©2019 Boy Scouts of America, 100-491, June 2019 Printing:

BYLAWS - ARTICLE I. GENERAL
RULES AND REGULATIONS
Section 6.

Establishment
Clause 1. In accordance with the provisions of the Charter, the Executive Committee may establish and amend Rules and Regulations for the further governance and guidance of the Boy Scouts of America including its local councils and affiliates.

Amendment
Clause 2. The Rules and Regulations and amendments thereto shall normally be adopted by resolution of the Executive Committee.

Amendment—Reporting Changes to the Executive Board
Clause 3. Any amendment to the Rules and Regulations shall be reported to the members of the Executive Board at its next meeting and unless such amendment is altered or canceled by the Executive Board at such meeting, it will be as effective as if it had been originally adopted by the Executive Board.

Eric, although I think yours is the incorrect request. (I believe that restoring the CC patch to its original wording is the grammatically proper thing to do, as well as being the most empowering to women.) I wish you well in your efforts.

The BSA National Service Center ticket is tracked under [JIRA] # HD-257508

1 Like

Here is a summary of where this feature request appears to be at currently:

This is a very narrowly scoped feature request for Scoutbook to use the term Committee Chair. This term is already in the vernacular, matches the format of Pack Committee Chair and other troop committee positions currently used in Scoutbook, and matches the term used on the Troop Committee Chair patch that Scoutbook currently displays for this position.

This same discrepancy was reported independently last year as a Scoutbook bug. The last comment in that bug was provided by AprilMcMillan1 and was marked as a solution in November 2019:

The request has been noted, and the process to change the official name will begin tomorrow.

It appears that process started in November is still underway, since the change is still not visible as of January 2020.

Scoutbook may be locked into using an old naming convention for this one position because the Scoutbook implementation is tied to core BSA forms and policy documents from prior years that use the old convention. That would explain why the patches and all other positions are already using the word Chair even though this one label has not changed. If so, updating those documents first is likely a prerequisite to unblocking this Scoutbook feature request.

A request to change the core documentation, including a list of all documents with the older position name that were identified on this topic thus far, has been submitted as a help desk ticket to the BSA National Service Center and is active and in progress.

1 Like

Weekly update: Still waiting on a response from BSA National Service Center, ticket is listed as active and in progress.

1 Like

Weekly update: positive response received from national via side email thread, some necessary prerequisite work is in progress this month.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.