Are the Cub Scout and Boy Scout Forums Gone for good?

@JohnWhitford1 - what ever exists as worksheets ARE NOT OFFICIAL BSA materials and the provider of these worksheets works against the guide to advancement because folks think they are official.

4 Likes

One answer is to rejuvenate the USSCOUTS.org mailing list Scouts-L. It is still around but fairly quiet.
And it is run by a team of dedicated scouters.

To whom it may concern @BSA,
Please support your volunteer leaders and bring back these valuable forum resources. Nothing disenfranchises volunteers faster than stifling communications and degrading tools.

While scout related forums on Facebook, Reddit, etc May exist, some of us will not use them.

Basecamps are working as local forums, however these cannot measure up to program forums here.

2 Likes

While I would like every Cub and Scout to have their own handbooks, (I have mine from the 50’s with my parents signoffs for my work) years ago as a professional I was responsible for our low income program and actually got a grant ($23,800, a lot of $ 20 years ago) to pay for handbooks, uniforms and even camping equipment. The Scout Exec needed operating funds and even though the grant was a restricted gift he took the funds. We made do and I complained and got fired. The kids never saw a dime. Frankly, whatever gets the program to the kids is fine with me.

1 Like

You’ll have to pass your concerns on to the local Scout Executive. They have always made it clear that they do not monitor these forums.

2 Likes

Whoa. That’s unbelievable.

1 Like

They appeared to have monitored the forums enough to shut them down

3 Likes

Believe it… and it gets worse but that’s not what this forum is for… I love the program and the vast majority of professionals are in it for the right reasons. Every profession has its share of bad management or incompetents… I have great respect for most pros and actually, for the movement to ever recover, we need more good unit serving professionals as well as some really good people in fundraising. If you have good/great pros… let them know they are appreciated.

1 Like

There were a lot of useful, practical and fun postings in the Cub and Scout topics. Too bad they have been terminated. My favorite areas because they so often dealt with program rather than technical issues and computer problems. I do miss those areas.

4 Likes

That is very disappointing. Unfortunately, this happens still today. I’m just saying this in a general world wide sense. :pensive:. Prayers for those who continue to do this and those that attempts to halt it and gets reprimanded for it. That’s our scout law.

1 Like

It was certainly a learning curve for me… It took 3 years of prayer on my part to get the ‘hate’ out of my spirit. Never lost faith with the program. One reason I wish the Cub and Scout program forums were still active. The program aspects of BSA need all the support it can get.

2 Likes

The topic of unit fundraising, outside of camp cards and popcorn, came up at our Roundtable this past Thursday and one of the questions brought up was how much should we give to council. A unanimous NONE was heard around the room and the story you shared is exactly why. It happens way more often than people think and they don’t even realize it.

1 Like

Hi Andrew, If your unit participates in popcorn and camp cards and you still need funds, you have already supported the council through the kids and families selling efforts. The rest of the funds that the kids earn, in my humble opinion, should remain with the unit for the kids, especially if the council tacks on insurance and service fees to the national fee. When I was working, we didn’t charge units add on fees but we did do Friends of Scouting so families could directly support the council services. I am fully in favor of that. When I ran my sons pack as a committee chairman we did FOS and a single mom wrote a check for $100 to the council. I held it out and asked her if she could afford that (council was asking for $33 back in the late 80’s) and she said the program was so important to her son that she wanted to help the council reach more families. God Bless her. Sorry if your folks have had a bad experience at your council with the professional leadership. There is no excuse for bad/poor management or unethical practices anywhere, but especially in Scouting.PS: my district units went up from less than $8k to well over $30k during my tenure and I feel it was because of the service and relationship that I had with them. After I was replaced that fell off dramatically… wonder why???

2 Likes

Great job that you did. Congrats…. Never ask, why? Just look up……

1 Like

Any good thoughts on where to go for a good exchange of program ideas and support for pack and troop leaders?

@JohnWhitford1 - obviously not here. You may want to reach out to your fellow dinosaurs

There have been a couple of suggestions further up the thread (mostly near the top).

I did visit the reddit site but compared to here where you were able to focus on Cub/Packs or Scouts/Troops I found it too broad.

1 Like

scouter.com has a variety of subforums, and is reasonably active.

2 Likes

That looks like the best option… The posts seem to stay active longer and offer a broad range of response. Probably where I’ll be spending my time…

1 Like