Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Bcc box in Messages

I know this topic was discussed briefly in September, but I would like to bring it up again hoping that Scoutbook will make a change. Please uncheck the Bcc box as the default for messages. When scouts send out messages, we cannot tell who received the messages. When a leader responds, the only the scout receives it. This does not follow the BSA’s 2-deep leadership protocol.

If parents are worried about their scout’s email addresses getting out, then perhaps they should not set an individual account for their scout, and use only the parent’s email address for correspondence.

It has been suggested that the scouts uncheck the box before sending a message. Sure, that would be an easy solution. But many scouts in their teens are not going to remember to uncheck the box each time. It is easier for adults, who don’t want the recipients of their messages known, to click Bcc.

Please reconsider this function and uncheck the box.

You are assuming that your leaders are going to “reply all” everytime. BSA Legal has approved this implementation. Perhaps one slight alteration would be to add the Parent email to not be BCC.

Here are some examples of recent cases we’ve had when scouts are using the messaging system.

Scout #1 messages MBC about a session he missed. Scout #1’s parent is automatically added to the list. He’s added SM (per troop agreement to add SM to all correspondence), and parent of scout #2 (who also missed the session) so he can get the information. Result: MBC replies, but only Scout #1 gets it. SM replies but only #1 gets it. Scout #2’s parent replies, and again only Scout #1 gets it. Scout #1’s parent does not automatically get the replies. Scout #1’s parent ends up going through scout’s emails and messaging all the adults with the information. 2-deep leadership is not maintained with the reply system. It would be if Bcc was unchecked, and reply all was selected.

Example 2: Scout sends a letter address to “Dear scouts”. Current SPL assumes that all scouts and SM (per troop agreement) have been included in the message, answers reply all, but only the initial sender gets it. We do not know who received the message, and cannot follow up appropriately.

Our scouts have been told to uncheck Bcc when sending messages. But, as I put in my initial message, Scouts are teens who are often rushed or careless. Parents don’t always check their scout’s email before the Send button is clicked. The parent registered for the scout might not be a registered leader, therefore 2-deep leadership is not established.

It just seems easier and safer to leave Bcc unchecked as the default, and adults and leaders who want the identity of people on the email hidden can do so easily by checking the box.