Being late

@ClaireSmith has it right. If the Scouts are having a really good time, they will push to get to the meeting on time. <Warning: Old Fogy Scouter Tale> Back when I was an OA chapter advisor, the chapter leaders passed a rule under my suggestion: Start the meeting on time. First meeting, the room was empty and the opening, plus the start of activity sharing, was done to an empty room. Then Scouts started filtering in. The late attenders asked what they missed, but the Chief said to be on time next time and find out. (We let them know after the meeting). At subsequent meetings, more and more showed on time.

Yes, sometimes parents can’t get their Scouts there on time, but that still doesn’t mean the meeting should backup so latecomers can be filled in. That can happen later when they talk to their patrol leader.

Interest can be increased by the SPL and PL’s getting the word out about great things that are going to happen at the meeting/event.

4 Likes

And never forget the immortal quote…

“I don’t feel tardy”

• David Lee Roth - Van Halen
2 Likes

Sorry, you are doing it wrong - end of the story. How about instead instituting a gathering activity as all the training would suggest. Make it fun and interactive. Then beyond that make it fun and interactive. Your language strongly suggests classroom like experiences with “adult” expectations.

Driving scouts away is the wrong way to solve your problem.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.