Can I use Scouting SSO for my Troop's website?

I’m using WordPress for our Troop website, and I just came across the Auth0 plugin, that would allow SSO integration.

Any word on if we can use the Scoutbook/Scouting.org SSO for this kind of application?

Nathan - I am not certain if that would be possible as it would need to access the user database and authentication. More than likely it would require its own data set to make that work.

I see. Just thought it would be super convenient (and possibly secure) to have the same SSO for “all things Scouts”

1 Like

The ability to authenticate via scouting.org SSO would be extremely helpful. It would encourage people to register and would be more secure than the authentication used by council, district, and unit web sites.

2 Likes

Resurrecting this thread a bit.

Does anyone know (can we tag someone from BSA IT?) if there are any plans to implement something like OAuth2/SAML/etc. so that we could integrate? It would be fantastic for those of us who have to ask parents to create a special login to my.scouting.org (which they will likely never use for anything other than Scoutbook) to be able to use that account somewhere else. Heck, it’d drastically reduce the clunkyness of the Scoutbook SSO setup.

Alternatively, is there any reason to not use social logins (e.g. Google/Facebook/Twitter/etc.) for my.scouting.org? Simple social login doesn’t require the BSA to share any information to those other services, and the BSA applications would only need to ask for an email address and name (avoiding retrieving too much information from the social identity provider.

I know this is an old thread, but I want to bring it back up. Parents already have so many logins to things I’d like to reduce the number of things they need to have separate logins for. Our pack recently got approved and plan to use Google Workspace for Non-Profits. I would like to use the Scouting.org SSO which I think could work with Google Workspace. Is this an option and has anyone done this?

Thank you!

The only work around would be to use the Google or Apple Logins - BSA is not going to open its SSO to third parties for obvious reasons.

2 Likes

That’s why passwords managers are so important. There’s no reason why one more password is untenable for anyone – you just plug it into the password manager, and away you go.

1 Like

Yes, I’m familiar with password managers, I use one myself. I’m just saying that it would be nice if this was an option. I’m not about to start teaching 70+ families on how they should be managing their passwords. I understand that BSA might not support doing this, but thought maybe they might, which is why I asked. Explaining the difference between my.scouting and scoutbook is hard enough sometimes and they utilize BSA SSO so the login is (usually) the same.

Scoutbook and my.scouting.org are both owned and supported by BSA IT. There is no way the BSA is going to create a public API to allow 3rd party apps or web sites to use their single sign on system.

As suggested earlier, if your site was able to use Apple and/or Google login, your members could use the same ID for BSA and your site.

1 Like

@DavidHaughton Et Al - it is time to give this a sunset as the request is not going to be honored by BSA IT.

1 Like

That’s fine… I get it. I only asked because the original discussion was left open ended and I wanted to find out if there was a final answer. There is one now.