Disappearing Reply button

Interesting as I am using firefox with no extensions or add-ins and have had the reply go ghost on me.

Has anybody had time to research this? I’m still seeing it intermittently (e.g. at Removing a duplicate activity log - #23 by CharleyHamilton) where I wasn’t able to reply to @JenniferOlinger’s post without quoting it, then deleting the quote since all I wanted to do was reply to the thread.

The way I was able to post was:

1. Quote from someone else’s reply. The reply window did non pop up.
  2. Surf to another thread, which caused the reply window to pop up at the bottom of the new thread, but containing the quoted material.
  3. Edit the “reply” to remove the quoted material and complete my intended post.
  4. Post the reply, which automatically posted to the correct thread without asking me whether to post in the “current” thread or the “original” thread, as typically happens for me.

After the reply posted, and I started this post, the reply button has reappeared on the thread noted above when I surfed back there in another tab (whcih previously did not make the Reply button reappear). Not sure what any of these symptoms might imply, since I don’t understand enough of how the site is set up to grok it in its fullness. Figured I’d report symptoms in case they help diagnose the disorder. :^)

@CharleyHamilton - The reply button did not appear as I first read your post. Then as I was reading through the reply button appeared gradually. It was interesting to see that happen.

Interesting, @Stephen_Hornak . I saw the same thing when I read yours, but hadn’t noticed the effect before. It took about 45 seconds, in case that’s diagnostic.

ETA: It occurred on another thread after about 20 seconds. It sounds like some sort of background item is processing before the reply button can come up.

@CharleyHamilton - that timing sees to match what I saw. It makes me wonder if it is the system registering the post then provide the reply.

I tried it again in a private browsing window with all extensions turned off, and there was no change in the behavior. Still right around 20 seconds.

Another thing I just noticed with this. Prior to the reply showing up, there are no icons for like/edit/trash and while you reply the edit of my post is locked out or delayed. This is looking more like a system process that normally would not be so dramatic but I suspect that discourse is being utilized much like slack and other similar apps.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.