Hiking/Camping/Service/Long Cruise Logs Changing

@Stephen_Hornak With that clarification, I will return to being a silent observer. Thank you

Make sure in Internet Advancement you have the proper unit as active. Click on the BSA logo in the upper right and select the unit.

Iā€™ll add that I am the one for our Unit that enters service hours in service.scouting.org. I looked at my sonā€™s account and their is no duplication of service hours post new activity log implementation (not sure that it would have done so as the entry at service.scouting.org is not user specific and just entered in aggregate, so it shouldnā€™t duplicate in any scout account from my observation).

Noting that the new Internet Advancement Log approach is heavy on database and lite on UI, what do I do now as a Scoutmaster when a family in my unit makes entries for family camping activities? In Scoutbook I would edit those entries so that they were removed from the log (communicating with the parents and youth the ineligibility of those items for inclusion in the logbook).

I donā€™t see a way to remove an activity once I create it ā€¦ will I have any access to those family (non-Scouting) activities entered for their children, except to view them in the Camping Report? How can I get unapproved items removed from the Camping Report and tally?

@MarkHenrichsen - I just did a test service project with my son logged in, and it shows up as pending approval. I will try test items in the other sections and will post results.

UPDATE - All service, hike and camping activities show up in IA as pending approval. That was something that some of you wanted to have.

Further Update - In the scouting app my son was able to delete all of the test entries.

I am the Advancement Chair and I am the person who uses Scoutbook the most. However, I am not Key3 person. So now I canā€™t record camping, service or hiking for the troop. I am not happy with this. It was easy for us to add to the activity logs before. Now I feel like it is broken.

3 Likes

For full access to enter activities for everyone in the unit and to approve activities, you must be the unit leader, Chartering Organization Representative or Committee Chair of your unit on your official roster (not just in Scoutbook.) If not one of these three, you will need to be designated in Organization Security Manager at my.scouting.org as a Key 3 Delegate or an Advancement Chair by someone holding one of the three positions above. To make such a delegation, see the guide here. For more on Organization Security Manager see: Assigning a Key 3 Delegate or other position in my.Scouting (myScouting) - Scoutbook Knowledge Base

Bill:

I know that this is an issue that is above the pay grade of the SUAC, but giving the COR the ability to approve activities for everyone in the unit is a totally useless feature. Our COR has no youth in the BSA, never attends any meetings, and the only time we interact with him is when we have an adult application. He took the position when he was with the Pack because the chartered organization (a UMC) wants the COR to be a member of the church, but then took his son to another troop which actively competes with our Troop for members.

The IT developers are totally changing the role of the Committee Chair and Scoutmaster from leaders who get the things done for the Scouts to have a good program and turning them into people who spend all their time keeping records. That is not what Baden-Powell intended.

2 Likes

Was any consideration given to adding logs for riding miles and aquatics activity hours? I already track these in Excel. If I have to keep doing that, it might make more sense for me to just track hiking, camping and service there too.

2 Likes

Joe,

The OA Eligibility Report has not been updated. It is a high priority item on the report developerā€™s list.

Peter,

There are plans to add additional log types. This is one of the reason the new log system was created. The database structures have been architected to more easily add additional log types. At this time I canā€™t predict when these additional logs will be added.

2 Likes

Charles,

It really depends on the unit. I do agree that in most units the COR is not active. In our 3 units, though, our COR is a very active member who was at one point the CC for 2 of the units. When we added the girl troop, he moved to COR only since coordination became a bigger part of the job. So, while it may be an unused feature for some, for others, it will get used.

Matt

Respectfully, Iā€™ll believe it when I see it. Itā€™s been 2 days and I cannot even see my own logs or my kidsā€™ logs.

ā€œThis is going to be much easier for the unit to now control.ā€
I can see why units would want to have ACCESS to the information, but why the need for CONTROL when all we need to have is APPROVAL? Doing this while we are all socially isolated makes no sense. I canā€™t even sit down with our unit and say ā€œok, hereā€™s the updatesā€. Likewise, there was NO notice given. Just one day POOF you canā€™t even access your own kidā€™s camping log. How as a MBC am I supposed to check nights of camping for a youth? How are the youth supposed to check or log their own?!

These logs are the INDIVIDUALā€™S responsibility, not the unit.

3 Likes

Looks like security rights for IA2 have been updated in the past day. I can confirm that parents can now see activity logs in both Scouting app (iOS) and through IA2 (as I am connected to my son and could not log into IA2 before as I lost my Key3D access with re-charter and now can login again, but only see him). Looks similar to the iOS Scouting app. And as training states, I can add personal activities, but still needs to be approved by Key3 or others with full access to IA2.

Not for me. Not sure if it is for Cub Scouts only, but my son is a Boy Scout and I canā€™t see his records within IA2. Going from being a Troop Admin and the person that entered the records for the troop to not even being able to see my own sonā€™s records. Love the improvement [/sarcasm]

1 Like

My son just entered a hike he did yesterday. His report back was that was cool. No issues for him it appears.

I also can not see my sonā€™s reports or add them in the Troop. Iā€™m an ASM in the troop even, but canā€™t view his. I can see my other son who is a Cub Scout but Iā€™m the Cubmaster so Iā€™m a Key 3. Hopefully they fix this.

1 Like

One major issue with this change. As an adult leader I also tracked my activity logs. Now when I go into my profile and select My Activity Logs it takes me to the new system for my son. I have clicked on me in the new system and the logs are not there. Have I lost all of my data? Will this be fixed?

This seems like a major oversight on the part of Scoutbook.

4 Likes

Data is still there just no portal to it yet

One additional issue I just found. I went to another of the scouts in my troop and tried to look at their activity log and it took me to the new system and showed me only my son. How do I get to see the other scouts in my troop. I am an ASM and System Admin in Scoutbook.

Just did some more searching and found only Key 3 or delegate can enter the information. Not a very well thought out release. This only puts more work on key individuals in the troop. Why would they release a change which takes several steps backwards? This needs to be fixed ASAP.