Removing Adults from Scoutbook on April 12th

Will this affect the parents ability to see their own child?

No @JohnGeiser,

Parents throughout Scouting have access to their childā€™s scoutbook. They can even mark things completed. The change just makes it so a parent canā€™t see everyone else in the pack (or troop or ship or whatever) without a background check.

BL

1 Like

LL was the code for Lion Guide when the Lion program was a pilot. Once the Lion program dropped Lion Guide and replaced it with Lion Den Leader, the position code DL was used. It is confusing that a den leader that starts with Lion then moves up with the den goes through DL, TL, DL, DL, WL, WL for the 6 years of Cub Scouts. We have heard in the past that there is no Assistant Den Leader (DA) for Lions which is why Scoutbook does not implement it. We are checking with the Cub Scout program office again to confirm.

This is not accurate. A parent can still see all Scouts on the roster and their advancement if they are given View Profile and View Advancement connections to the Scouts. What they cannot see is personal information such as address and date of birth.

1 Like

The easiest thing to do is just make them all Den Leaders and leave out the rank.

The only real change is in WEBELOS when they can camp as a den and the leader needs to be Baloo trained for that.

John,

Unless the BSA changes the position codes for Den Leaders, Scoutbook will continue to use the registered positions.

1 Like

Yes, BSA is mixed on how to deal with leaders of dens from Lion to Webelos. Inconsistencies:

1. Lion and Tiger dens have only one registered leader (because parents are there for each scout). Result = lack of registered assistants because parents are to fill this role.
  2. With the changes to Youth Protection rules, these parents donā€™t count toward the two leader requirement for meetings. Result = register two leaders and no assistants.
  3. Multiple names for the same task (lead a den) - Lion Guide, Tiger Den Leader, Den Leader and Assistant, Webelos Den Leader and Assistant.

Awhile back, there was discussion that BSA would change the position name of all leaders of dens to Den Leader and Assistant Den Leader. There would be no distinction of den rank. However, it has not happened at this point and there has been no recent discussion about it.

With all leaders of dens taking the same training, it would be simple to implement.

With the BSA requirement of all scout meetings requiring two registered leaders in attendance, having at least two registered leaders in each den is a reasonable approach. (We try for three - also having a Unit Scouter Reserve adult.)

This thread has wandered away from the OP. Should it be split off?

Thatā€™s odd. Is that documented anywhere? Not that itā€™s really critical to me, but for the record, the 2019 rules I referenced actually define LL as ā€œLion Den Leaderā€, rather than Lion Guide.

Or we should wander back on topic. :wink:

1 Like

Thatā€™s not entirely correct. There needs to be a BALOO trained Scouter present, not necessarily the Den Leader being the one with the training.

1 Like

On the original topic, ā€œunregistered adults in Scoutbook being removed,ā€ how will this impact Scoutbook email communications? (Sending emails to all parents and leaders from Scoutbook)?

If the parents who are not registered volunteers are not on the roster, how can they be included on the email list?

Or am I overthinking this change?

Parent connections to their Scouts will not be removed. So they will continue to receive messages.

@MichaelMorris - over thinking why yes indeed. If you have parents connected scouts ā€¦ then no changeā€¦this is not rocket science although some think it isā€¦

Using Scoutbook on a laptop, when I look at the Scoutbook roster, adult leaders are on the left side of the screen and scouts (with attached parents) on the right side.

The change will remove not-registered adults from the left side. Parents on the right will not be affected.

Using a phone, the roster displays a single column, leaders first, then scouts w/ parents.

The confusion arises from the definition of who is ā€œon the rosterā€ = registered with BSA. Adult leaders are on the roster. Scouts are on the roster. Parents will display on the roster screen, but are not ā€œon the roster.ā€ But, if you want to see the parent accounts, you have to look at the roster.

Announcing that not registered adults will be removed from the roster sounds like parents will be gone from the roster display. This is not the case. PARENTS will not be impacted by the change in registration requirements. Parents will remain on the roster display next to their scouts.

Only adult positions displaying the :warning: icon, except Institutional Head/Executive Officer, will be removed. Parents do not display the :warning: icon.

You canā€™t remove the Lion and Tiger Adult Partner Roles. Lions and Tigers are required to have a parent present at all Scouting functions. For insurance and liability purposes, you have to have Lion and Tiger Adult Partners as a registered position.

@RobertDaley, We are in agreement that parents are required to be at any Cub Scout functions their kids are at through tigers. But if Iā€™m interpreting scoutbook correctly (almost 100% of the :warning: icons are next to people who are Lion Adult Partners or Tiger Adult Partners (LAP/TAP) in my Pack) they are not REGISTERED POSITIONS. Nor will this 4/12 change make the LAP/TAPs registered positions.

So As @DougWright pointed out the LAP/TAPs will be removed from the Den Leader column after the April 12 change. If Iā€™m understanding the change correctly, Only LAP/TAPs who also serve another role in the pack will remain in the Den Leader Column.
FOR EXAMPLE: My den has 5 scouts in it. Iā€™m the den leader for my son, in addition to me 1ā€™s mom is the Treasurer, 2 3 and 4ā€™s parentā€™s are ONLY Lion Adult Partners, and 5 is my son. Under the Lion Den tab (Where 1-5ā€™s parents go to see advancement and awards and whatnot) 1 and 5ā€™s parent will be listed under ā€œDen Leadersā€ Me as the den leader and 1ā€™s mom as the Lion Adult Partner, & Treasurer.

While itā€™s imperative for a lion adult partner to be present, should we include the role (of LAP/TAP) in Scoutbook, thereby identifying only select adults as Lion Adult Partners under the Den Leader Column? Or would it be more clear (according to how things are actually done) to remove the Lion and Tiger Adult Partner Roles and just have 1 den leader in all Lion or Tiger Dens? I contend the latter is a better setup.

If you rechartered them correctly, they shouldnā€™t be marked for removal unless there is a duplicate record. Also, you should only be assigning a Den Leader and an Assistant Den Leader to the Lions and Tigers Den in Scoutbook. The Adult Partners should not be assigned in the Den Leader Column. They will still show up in the Pack Roster under Leaders. None of my Adult Partners are flagged for removal.

@RobertDaley I run Scoutbook in my pack and I didnā€™t put them in, our council did at recharter. I guess itā€™s possible that Council erroneously put the LAP/TAPs in so that they show up as Den Leaders, however 4 of them will be removed on 4/12.

As Discussed above (in Post 11 by Jennifer Olinger), the Tiger Den Leader doesnā€™t have an option to have an Assistant Den Leader (same goes with Lions). Itā€™s not a position that someone CAN fill because the Adult Partners serve in an assistance capacity so the role doesnā€™t exist. Neither in Scoutbook nor in the 2019 BSA Registration Guidebook (See Post 28 above for the positions, or Post 18 for the link to the guidebook both by Charley Hamilton)

Can one of the Scoutbook User Advisory Council members clairify if Adult Partners should appear in the den leader column? Either presently or after 4/12?

@BrianLittle We are working on getting clarification.

Ok, so I want to run a Roster Report of all PARENTS of Scouts in our Pack. If non-registered adults no longer show up in reports, how does one go about doing this?? There seem to be no options to associate a parentā€™s name with a scout in running a roster report or any other type of report. If I want a listing of all my parents, why can I not run this report?

There are multiple reasons for wanting to run a parent report up to and including for trip rosters, who has and has not registered an associated account with a scout, and many moreā€¦

Please advise.

Thank you,
David Reed
Assistant Cubmaster
Cub Scout Pack 199
Washington Crossing Council