BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Why care about "days" camped in addition to "nights"?

Why should we care about “days” camped if requirements care only (?) about nights? So, when we have a Friday/Saturday/Sunday campout, we count that as 2 nights and then, by default, count it as 2 days. Is there any reason to be more accurate on the days side? What am I missing?

NOAA awards call for them

2 Likes

There are some requirements that use “days”. Here are some:

1. The National Outdoor Awards
  2. Backpacking merit badge

If you are camping Friday / Saturday / Sunday, then I would count it as 2 nights / 3 days.

On the main NOAA it talks about days and nights, but then moves to just units of nights for accounting purposes. Is there some where else it talks of days?

“ 4. Complete 25 days and nights of camping—including six consecutive days (five nights) of camping (Sea Scouts may be on a boat), approved and under the auspices and standards of the Boy Scouts of America—including nights camped as part of requirements 1 through 3 above. Scouts must complete six consecutive days (five nights) of the 25 nights at a BSA accredited resident camp.

A gold device may be earned for each additional 25 nights of camping. A silver device is earned for each additional 100 nights of camping. The youth may wear any combination of devices totaling his or her current number of nights camping.“

I do see where backpacking trek could be 3 days and 2 nights. Thanks for the reference!

The NOA badge for Camping says:

“4. Complete 25 days and nights of camping …”

In most cases, the number of days is probably the number of nights camped + 1.