Adult leader is in Scoutbook as a youth

We recently approved the application for a new adult leader, but this person is displaying in Scoutbook as a youth. This person’s BSA number is 14224926.

Can someone please help and switch this person to an adult?

Is fixed BUT you council registered him wrong - he is registered as a UP (an over age Scout) they need to correct that

Was it a paper or online application?

Thank you both for the help. I’ll reach out to Council and see if they can change his registration. He filled out an online application.

There was some confusion with how to handle the acceptance of his application and getting him signed up in the correct position (he’s going to be our new Merit Badge coordinator), because this is the first time we’re doing it all electronically.

Also, I don’t see him in the “scouts needing a patrol” section in Scoutbook, but I also don’t see him in the “Leaders” section of the Troop roster. When the council makes that change, will he show up in that list?

It sounds like your COR assigned him to the wrong position.

My Comment

I am confused. What job title is Scoutbook using?

Terms - model BSA® structure

I believe

  • merit badge counselor (MBC) is a council position usually assigned to a district.
  • district merit badge coordinator is a district committee member function, usually an elected district member-at-large (position 75) who used to maintain MBC records before they were moved online.
  • Council and or district merit badge dean. I suspect this person’s function was to coordinate the training of MBCs,
  • The troop committee member function is named “advancement chair”.


Nothing that the OP mentioned is a Scoutbook title as far as I know, @Bill_W. Scoutbook is only listing the official BSA registered/functional unit scouter positions.

If it’s like what our unit does, it’s a committee member functional task, keeping track of which unit-affiliated adults are current MBCs so that the program-side (SM/ASMs) has a list of who’s “readily available” for supporting in-house activities (e.g. an Emergency Preparedness MBC to help PLC planning an Emergency Prep training/practice activity). It’s also helpful to be able to refer scouts to someone who might be at a troop meeting already (e.g. one of the unit-registered scouters).


  • Advancement Coordinator (previously advancement chair)
  • Paper to online ?

Advancement Coordinator Duties

  • Encourage Scouts to advance in rank.
  • Work with troop scribe to maintain all Scout advancement records.
  • Develop and maintain a merit badge counselor list.
  • Make a prompt report on the correct form to the council service center when a troop board of review is held. Secure badges and certificates,
  • Work with troop librarian to build and maintain a library of merit badge pamphlets and other advancement literature,
  • Report to the troop committee at each meeting.

© 2018 Boy Scouts of America

Unit reference

  • Boy Scouts of America. Troop Committee Guidebook - for Successful Troop Operation (Scouts BSA). 2018 Printing ed. Vol. 34505, Irving, Tex.: Boy Scouts of America Inc., ©2018. Book. p. 23


When our COR (delegate) goes in to and views the Position Manager, she is able to see the new adult leader in the grid of positions, and he is listed under the heading “Unit Participant”. Unfortunately, the icon changes to the “not allowed” icon when she tries to move him from that position into the Committee Member position. She is able to move everyone else (e.g. moving someone from the ASM column to the Committee member column), but not the new adult leader.

Are you able to move him from the Unit Participant position to the Committee Member position? Or do I need to reach out to our Council to have that change made?

In our Troop, the Committee decided to split the responsibility of the Advancement Coordinator, so that one person handles the rank advancement and awards and the other one handles merit badges.

Sounds like your path forward is to ask your council to change their position from unit participant to committee member. They may ask for a paper application.

@JonathanHotz Is the Unit Participant old enough to be a Committee Member? A Committee Member needs to be age 21+.

A Unit Participant is usually age 18-19 ish, and would normally become a Unit College Scouter Reserve (age 18-20) or an Assistant Scoutmaster (age 18+).

1 Like

Yes, he’s definitely old enough; his son is in the Troop :slight_smile:

What I’m saying is that Unit Participant is a position for adults who are usually age 18-19 who are pursuing Scouts BSA advancement, so you might need to contact your local council to get the registration fixed.

1 Like

@JenniferOlinger @jacobfetzer @DonovanMcNeil Thanks for all your help. My Council was able to make the change, and they got his position corrected.


This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.