Adult leaders unable to email scouts and parents

Connections are only automatically assigned for Parents (who are connected to their scouts as such), Unit Key 3, Key 3 Delegates, and Unit/Subunit Admins. Everyone else (I think) has to be assigned manually.

Depending on how many people you’re talking about, it might be easiest to install the Feature Assistant Extension (Feature Assistant - What is it?) and use the Permissions by Position tool in that to assign the connection types. It’s fairly straightforward, but requires using either Firefox or Chrome as your browser to function.

That said, it is pretty easy to do in Scoutbook’s Connections Manager for a small number of scouters by clicking on each Scouter’s name, particularly if they all have different positions. That’s less of an issue at the troop level, since folks generally fall into the groupings of either ASM, committee member or Key 3. In packs, there are a lot of other registered positions (DL, ADL…) that could need access where it might be less convenient to use permissions by position when you only have one person who needs access in some of the registered positions.

ETA: I should note that Permissions by Position and assigning connections in Connection Manager only works for the individuals who are on the roster at the time. It doesn’t connect scouters to scouts who join the roster after the connections are made, nor will it automatically connect scouters who are not on the roster when the connection process is run. In essence, it’s a manual periodic maintenance task to make sure everyone has the correct permissions. I’ve found it’s easiest to re-run the process when new scouts or scouters join the roster.

1 Like