Bugs in new Hiking/Camping/Service/Long Cruise Logs Interface

@MarkSchroer When you log in at my.scouting.org (my.Scouting Tools), are you able to access your troop’s info there?

When you go to Internet Advancement 2.0, in the upper right corner, do you see the Cub Scout icon representing your pack? If you click on the arrow next to it, do you see an option to select your troop?

When I click the arrow, the pack is the only unit that appears.

At my.scouting.org I only have access to YPT and Training Reports for the Troop. I have access to a broad range of topics in the Pack. Lots of change going on in our council with our district boundaries being redefined and restructured. Most of the access I had 6 months ago has changed in bizarre ways. Not sure if this troop issue is related.

Mark

Mark,

I sent you a direct message. Click on your avatar in the upper right corner.

This issue is now fixed for me.

This issue is now fixed for me. Hours/miles/nights are now shown on the Youth profile Activity Logs section.

Thanks for the progress.

I get the following message when I try to log in to the screen I get when I click on any scouts activity log, including my son’s. I’m the troop advancement chair however it’s currently not designated in my.scouting.org (key 3 is going to fix that), but shouldn’t I see my son’s stuff without that designation? Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 3.04.59 PM|432x500

My son can see his service/camping logs but the notes that were in the original app are gone. Can you send me a file or pdf with all those notes? We used that field to keep track of what requirement each service hour was tied to. (It would have been nice to get some sort of warning that they were going to be taken away. We would not have relied on them for our records.) Thank you.

1 Like

@TeriLamprey - you can expand the entries to see the notes and dates… my son and I were able to do that.
To expand just click on the entry

@Stephen_Hornak it’s comforting to know that the data still exists, but I still can’t find it. When I expand the entry, it shows the hours, activity name, dates, and location, but it doesn’t show the information I typed into the notes or comments field (I don’t remember the exact thing it was called). I’m hoping once I have access (only my son has access right now), maybe things will work better. Currently the only way we can see the service/camping logs is for my son to log on through the scouting app. (Neither one of us can access anything if we try to access it through Scoutbook.)

@TeriLamprey - more detail is available if you click the pencil icon on the entry. It is in the description section.

May I ask WHY we are restricting access? It seems silly to give some leaders access to records and deny it to others based on position. Why is it a problem for a Den Leader in one Den to know that a scout in another Den did a night of camping? We already restrict access as needed in Scoutbook. Denying access to all but designated people (rather than as designated in Scoutbook) for even being able to SEE such (trivial?) information without unit input/control seems more than unnecessary.

I understand a need to update software and I’m fine with that, but categories of “view/edit/approval” control and “unable to even view” seems unnecessary (at best). What are we going to do for Merit Badge Counselors who need to see, for example, a scouts’ nights camping? They are not part of the privileged few.

There appears to be a bug that Internet Advancement is not counting the Nights Camped correctly based on the dates entered in the IA2 Activity. For example, a campout starting on 4/21 and ending on 4/25 would include 4 nights camping, the 21st, 22nd, 23rd and 24th. However IA2 is counting (within its interface) that this was a 4 day 3 night campout, while it was actually a 5 day 4 night campout (if you must, count it on your fingers).

I found I could overcome the counting issue only if I marked the campout as an ALL DAY EVENT for an Activity that I created, however it does not work for the Activities pending approval that were entered by Scouts and their families (not sure whether I can actually edit those activities).

As I am dealing with activities that families have entered, I will not approve them at this time so I can’t tell whether it is resolved in the Report feature, where it also counts and tallies the camping nights.

@MarkHenrichsen On which screen or report is the camping total that you are referring to?

@JenniferOlinger, @MichaelaMonson

I first noticed it when I created a new Activity in IA2 for my troop and correctly entered the dates and times of the event. The default amount added to participants was 0 nights and 1 day, even though it was an overnight campout. (did anyone run this test case?). I found that I was unable to enter 1 night for the participants, until I selected the ALL DAY EVENT flag/checkbox, and then the total days and nights was correct.

The problem gets more complicated as I have a family that has entered several activities in IA2 that are now pending approval for me. In IA2 I go to the youthProfile screen, then click Camping (activityLogs/2) then view individual campout Activities pending approval. Click an activity to see the detail, and the start and end dates are correct, but the total days and nights are days minus 1 and nights minus 1. Did someone add a minus one to the date subtraction for days (which should be simply end date minus start date) and then carry that forward into the nights calculation (which should be end date minus start date, minus one) NOT MINUS TWO. The current value showing up for the DAYS camped is what should be the NIGHTS camped.

As someone else has noted, the imported data from Scoutbook shows up in IA2 with the start and end dates as the same date, but the count of nights seems to appear correctly.

I am in BOYS Troop 7 “Sagewood at Daybreak” in District 5 of the Crossroads of the West Council. The youth in question with several pending camping activities is #2197243

1 Like

Another couple bugs, or at least questions on the desired behavior of the interface …

First issue is, on the youthProfile screen, the summary of Nights Camped is displaying a total (that includes the incorrect IA2 interface total based on the bug noted previously). As Scoutmaster, I would want the total of APPROVED nights displayed, not the total of SUBMITTED nights (should not be the sum of Approved and Unapproved).

Second issue, there is not a REJECT or IGNORE option in the Campout detail page (activityLogs/2) the only interface option is to APPROVE. if I choose not to APPROVE I must perpetually ignore the items in the real world, until such a time as the youth or their family delete those items on their side.

1 Like

I would go an option further @MarkHenrichsen - Edit, but I think I did note that having the scout maintain and correct is the better option.

3 Likes

semper gumby

5 Likes

The option to export the logs to a CSV file is gone now with the new system.

1 Like

I would like to add that den leaders cannot even access their dens for service/camping/hikes. We are all locked out.

This is a known issue that is, reportedly, being worked on.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.