Calendar Subscription Links (iCal Calendar Feed) Not Working

I have several units in ScoutBook, and we use the calendar feature across all the units to keep activities coordinated. I’ve subscribed to quite a few ScoutBook calendars by clicking the “Subscribe” link to get the “Calendar Feed URL” and then putting that into my desktop calendar software (macOS’s stock Calendar app).

Those calendars have stopped refreshing in the last few weeks, and when I attempt to access the link directly I get a 404 NOT FOUND.

The broken calendar links include:

curl -iL https://scoutbook.scouting.org/ics/95620.DE554.ics 
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Content-Type: text/html
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 22:03:05 GMT
Server: 
Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000
Content-Length: 1523
Connection: keep-alive

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">  <html>  <head>  <title>Requested URL cannot be found</title>  <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">  <style type="text/css">  td { font-family: verdana, arial, sans-serif; }  td { font-size: 12px; }  table { margin-left: 50px; }  a.al:link {color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none;}  a.al:visited {color: #0000ff;text-decoration: none;}  a.al:hover {color: #0000ff;text-decoration: underline;}  p {line-height: 20px; margin-bottom: 15px;}  p.ec {color: red;}  p.lid {}    </style>    <script type="text/javascript">    function timed_redirect(seconds, url)  {     document.getElementById('countdown').innerHTML = seconds;     if (seconds <= 0)        window.location = url;     else        setTimeout('timed_redirect(' + --seconds + ', "' + url + '")', 1000);  }  </script>        </head>    <body>  <table align="left" width="50%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">  <tr>  <td align="left">  <p>&nbsp;</p>  <h2>Requested URL cannot be found</h2>  <p>We are sorry, but the page you are looking for cannot be found. The page has either been removed, renamed or is temporarily unavailable.</p> <p class="ec">404 Not Found</p><p class="lid">Reference ID: 669dfbae-8218-11ec-8a6b-0ec7910dc74e</p>  <hr>  <p><a href="javascript:history.back(1)">Back to previous page</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="/">Proceed to homepage</a></p>  </td>  </tr>  <tr>  <td>  <p>&nbsp;</p>        </td>  </tr>  </table>    </body>  </html> %                                                                            

@AndrewBarnett - I just checked our unit web sites and the subscription url is working fir them in Google calendar. You could try resubscibing to them. Do not think this a scoutbook issue.

You can check scouting33.org and the crew and troop as they have more calendar items.

Thanks, but I think this is something related to my units specifically – so the fact that it works for your units just means the problem doesn’t affect the calendar feature as a whole.

The logs below tell me it isn’t a problem on my end, unless you think my ISP put in a transparent web proxy.

$ dig scoutbook.scouting.org

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> scoutbook.scouting.org
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 63871
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4000
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;scoutbook.scouting.org.		IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
scoutbook.scouting.org.	255	IN	CNAME	scoutbooklite-elb-external-1183734846.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com.
scoutbooklite-elb-external-1183734846.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com. 15 IN A 34.204.254.195
scoutbooklite-elb-external-1183734846.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com. 15 IN A 54.83.253.15

;; Query time: 35 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.2.37#53(192.168.2.37)
;; WHEN: Sun Jan 30 17:22:53 EST 2022
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 162

$ curl -iL https://scoutbook.scouting.org/ics/95620.DE554.ics
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Content-Type: text/html
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 22:23:14 GMT
Server: 
Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000
Content-Length: 1523
Connection: keep-alive

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">  <html>  <head>  <title>Requested URL cannot be found</title>  <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">  <style type="text/css">  td { font-family: verdana, arial, sans-serif; }  td { font-size: 12px; }  table { margin-left: 50px; }  a.al:link {color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none;}  a.al:visited {color: #0000ff;text-decoration: none;}  a.al:hover {color: #0000ff;text-decoration: underline;}  p {line-height: 20px; margin-bottom: 15px;}  p.ec {color: red;}  p.lid {}    </style>    <script type="text/javascript">    function timed_redirect(seconds, url)  {     document.getElementById('countdown').innerHTML = seconds;     if (seconds <= 0)        window.location = url;     else        setTimeout('timed_redirect(' + --seconds + ', "' + url + '")', 1000);  }  </script>        </head>    <body>  <table align="left" width="50%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">  <tr>  <td align="left">  <p>&nbsp;</p>  <h2>Requested URL cannot be found</h2>  <p>We are sorry, but the page you are looking for cannot be found. The page has either been removed, renamed or is temporarily unavailable.</p> <p class="ec">404 Not Found</p><p class="lid">Reference ID: 3768055c-821b-11ec-8a6b-0ec7910dc74e</p>  <hr>  <p><a href="javascript:history.back(1)">Back to previous page</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="/">Proceed to homepage</a></p>  </td>  </tr>  <tr>  <td>  <p>&nbsp;</p>        </td>  </tr>  </table>    </body>  </html> %                                                                                                            ```

@AndrewBarnett - not sure on your ISP. But you can verify that you see the events in scoutbook.scouting.org for those you noted. If so, I would remove the existing failed subscriptions and re-subscribe to those calendars.

The Troop 201 ics opened for me in outlook

I’d tried several ways of re-subscribing to the calendar before I submitted the report – that’s usually fixed problems in the past.

I’m still getting errors, so if you’re saying it works for you in Outlook then I’m beginning to think it’s the Mac’s Calendar application.

@AndrewBarnett - just to circle back on this I subscribed to the troop 201 calendar via google calendar and I see there is a dragon slayer patrol meting on the 8th of February at 7pm

HTTPS://scoutbook.scouting.org/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=3D4027771

1 Like

This started affecting our troops calendars as well this month. Everyone of our patrol and primary troop calendar iCS url’s are returning a 404. I noticed first when google calendar sync stopped seeing changes as reported by several in our troop. If I curl these directly, I’m seeing the same thing.

Andrew did you ever find the cause?

Sometimes I can download a static ics directly via chrome, which leads me to believe that scoutbook started doing some sort of agent detection and it is blocking google calendar, looks like ical too.

@SeanBridges - i just checked our units and google calendar is still subscribed and presenting the scoutbook events.

Like @Stephen_Hornak, my unit’s Scoutbook calendar feed is still updating to our Google site, as well as to my personal calendar via subscription.

@SeanBridges that ics loads right up for me??? Snowbowl on the 19th?

Yeah that is it. I experimented and removed the Google calendar, readded and everything popped back in. Had two others do the same and things appear to work. Really odd. Still get the 404 when attempting to curl the url. I guess it’s time to send a broadcast to everyone to unsubscribe and resubscribe. Not sure if this indicates a Google or a Scoutbook ics issue, but at least there is a path forward. Thanks for looking!

@SeanBridges - i can note that our unit calendars have consistently worked and never had to unsubscribe and re subscribe