Counting Camping MB Nights and OA Camping Nights

When checking on OA eligibility and Camping merit badge camping nights, it would be ideal to have a way to designate that a campout is a tenting campout for camping MB. The other option would be to have a separate event type for cabin campouts. The hope is to generate a report that shows each Scout’s camping nights within the last 2 years (OA) and total camping nights with Camping MB rules.

In our old system, we had two separate campout event types to allow us to programmatically calculate OA eligibility camping nights or camping merit badge camping nights. This allowed us to have fields for “Camping MB Camping Nights” and “OA Camping Nights” on each Scout’s profile page. This made OA elections much less time consuming. As it is, I’ll have to grab the physical Scout books for every youth member in the troop, which seems onerous.

The ability to designate a campout as eligible for advancement is in the backlog. We do not know if or when it will be scheduled for development.

The workaround I use is to start the campout name with Tent:, Cabin: etc. so I can easily determine if the event qualifies for advancement.

1 Like

I have come to the conclusion that life is better if the scout records his/her camping nights. At SM conferences, I ask them to show me the logs in their book and get them to catch them up then and there. I’m really quite finished thinking we leaders need to be bogged down with these minutiae.

1 Like

That’s what we’ve been doing. I’m the main SB-dude in our Troop; I tell the Scouts to come see me when they get something signed off, and I touch base with the other leaders about camping attendance. Otherwise, I try to grab a couple handbooks every few weeks to make sure what’s in Scoutbook matches what’s in their physical handbooks.

Silver linings, though, I have to say that the new COVID contract tracking requirements from our Council and the new activity logs have made a huge improvement for us for keeping up with activities.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.