Data export for Merit Badge Requirements?

There needs to be an easier way to get data from Tentaroo to Scoutbook. I’m working on a script to create an import file from Tentaroo data, but the format of the Merit Badge Requirements expected by Scoutbook doesn’t always match the official requirements. Sometimes Scoutbook splits requirements into sub requirements. For example, instead of just listing 6a for Personal Fitness, Scoutbook breaks up 6a so it looks like:

• Personal Fitness #6a[1]a Aerobic
  • Personal Fitness #6a[1]b Aerobic
  • Personal Fitness #6a[2]a Flex
  • Personal Fitness #6a[2]a Streng.
  • Personal Fitness #6a[2]b Streng.
  • Personal Fitness #6a[2]c Streng.

Is there a way to export a complete set of the data expected for each merit badge? Something like this, except all of the reqs for each MB:

Merit Badge, Version, Advancement
Personal Fitness, 2020, Personal Fitness #6a[1]a Aerobic
Personal Fitness, 2020, Personal Fitness #6a[1]b Aerobic
Personal Fitness, 2020, Personal Fitness #6a[2]a Flex

I do realize at this time that the Tentaroo export does not contain the version. I have contacted Tentaroo support to see if they are willing to add it to their export. If they wont, I’ll have to verify the version they are using for each badge and keep my own table in a Google Sheet/CSV to reference when creating the import file for Scoutbook.

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

@JeffreyHoover - this is not a scoutbook issue. It is a tentaroo issue. It is up to them to work out an export.

The black pug import is the data match you are looking for.

1 Like

Scoutbook lists some requirements in a nonstandard format, so I would consider the issue to be part Scoutbook. The example I listed above shows that. In the official BSA requirements for Personal Fitness there is a “6a”. There is no “6a1a”, “6a1b”, “6a2a”, etc.

Even creating my own code that attempts to convert the data between the two platforms, I can’t predict what Scoutbook is expecting without checking every merit badge in Scoutbook one at a time. I was simply asking for an export from Scoutbook in order to avoid doing that.

The import formats will not change. They work for the BSA’s needs. As was stated, this was a Tentaroo issue. If they want to create an import format for Scoutbook, they will need to comply with what is already in place.

2 Likes

Can we take Tentaroo out of the question then? I’d like to create a CSV to import data into Scoutbook but Scoutbook breaks up requirements into multiple requirements in a non standard way. Is there a way to get an export of the way Scoutbook expects each requirement so that I can successfully create a CSV?

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

It’s previously been stated that the BSA only provide the import file format to third-party software firms.

1 Like

My apologies for missing that post. I was just trying to help, but it seems that the BSA wants to make this as difficult as possible.

It also seems like everyone here shuts down when the word Tentaroo is mentioned. I get that Tentaroo is a third party, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t try to make things easier for each other.

The BSA does not monitor the forums. If Tentaroo is interested in creating an export for Scoutbook, they will need to contact BSA IT directly. There is nothing we as volunteers can do to facilitate this.

3 Likes

I do not know if Tentaroo is interested in creating an export for Scoutbook, I have no affiliation with them. I’m just trying to make the post-summer camp process easier, since it seems every camp we attend uses Tentaroo and we visit 2 or 3 camps each summer. I know many others experience the same Tentaroo to Scoutbook workload.

I can’t write a converter if I don’t know the input format required by Scoutbook, but it seems as if you are saying the format is mandated by Scouts BSA. I’ll contact Tentaroo to see if they are willing to pursue it.

Scoutbook is owned by BSA IT.

1 Like

Perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel, as here is the response from Tentaroo:

“We are currently developing a Scoutbook export for Tentaroo and are hoping to launch it in time for 2023 Summer Camp”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.