Any ideas for improving den chief management and den leader training?
- New den leaders apparently do not know how to get or ask for den chiefs. I do not know how extensive this problem is.
- I found it difficult to find den chief training information even when I knew what I was looking for.
- Den leaders do not appear to know that it is a Scouts BSA Senior Patrol Leaders responsibility to manage den leader training. Or is it? Where is this documented?
- With the pandemic I suspect the unit performance model is not a solution for many council
- It looks like BSA needs a separate “Den Chiefs” online training module with an introduction to Den Chiefs, how Den Chiefs requests are communicated and managed, and how Den Chiefs are trained before the first meeting with a den leader, then Cub Scouts in a den. - Added to Den Leader, pack key-3, Scoutmaster and Senior Patrol Leader (and assiistant senior patrol leader?) training.
Here is a recent (29 Jul 2021) reply with den chief information sources:
There is information and training for den chiefs. The training can be done before the Scout assumes responsivities of being a den chief in a pack.
- Den Chief | Troop Leader Resources (scouting.org)
- Den Chief Service Award | Boy Scouts of America
- Den Chief Training | Boy Scouts of America (scouting.org)
- Den Chief Handbook 2021 | Boy Scouts Of America (scoutshop.org)
I assume it is still appropriate for the scoutmaster to remind the senor patrol leader about the need for den chief training if it is … not being done.
I recommend that the prospective den chief be given a copy of the den chief handbook by the scoutmaster before they start being a den chief. Online training is also available.
Search Scouting Forums for “den chief service award”.