I have lots of consistency issues between scoutbook and scoutNet re: merit badge counselors

None of what is displayed is PII. No last name is shown, only a first name and last initial. No address, no phone numbers, no e-mail addresses.

Hereā€™s one for an ID I found on the forums.

I pulled up my record and then substituted the SB ID I found.

A quick test says that SB IDs are not random nor widely distributed. I tried several numbers in sequence. All of them returned results. Start with your own ID number and just increment or decrement by one and see who you get back.

@JamesBrown13 - i am so glad that i am not a part of your council but i wi tell you that as of today i have resigned frim the bsa and joined a real scouting organization known as the BPSA

Ok? I guess? Iā€™m sure that was supposed to be a terribly cleaver jab at me but I donā€™t get it.

Iā€™m just trying to protect peopleā€™s privacy and keep BSA from getting their pants sued off a second time. Sorry if that offended you in some way.

@JamesBrown13 - that is the equivalent of the BSA id in the gtand lodge of njā€¦ hence my point. I am happy to not bein your council

@JamesBrown13 - i would suggest that you read through your post history as it is without any doubt the most negative and confrontational posts. And no i did not resign but you do echo the negative attitude that has stopped any support i would offer my district abd council because you exho their pure aggressive attitude toward volunteers.

3 Likes

ScoutNET

@DonovanMcNeil , @JamesBrown13

May I suggest using ā€œScoutNETā€ to refer to BSAĀ® internal network(s) and not the databases connected to it. For more see

2022-02-16-A

1 Like

@Bill_W

No, the term ScoutNET needs to go away with the database. If we bring up ScoutNET to folks that support the systems, we are told ā€œScoutNET is gone.ā€

2 Likes

@edavignon

I disagree with your opinion,

The Language of Scouting and the current
image Ā®
trademark define the term as a network, not a computer system or membership database. It appears the BSAĀ® national professionals need more training in the Language of Scouting.

Official BSAĀ® Definition

Boy Scouts of America. Language of Scouting. February 2020 ed. Irving, Tex.: Boy Scouts of America Inc., Ā©2020. Webpage. Language of Scouting | Boy Scouts of America.

ScoutNET

A wide area network that electronically connects all local councils, regional offices, the National Distribution Center, Scouting U, and the national service center.

Ā©2020 Boy Scouts of America

2022-02-16-D

1 Like

@Bill_W

I donā€™t care what an obscure document you found says. According to BSA IT, ScoutNET has been RETIRED.

2 Likes

Stephen,

Iā€™m sorry you feel that way. I certainly didnā€™t intend to attack you or anyone else.
My post history is a result of massive frustration with 1) not being helped, 2) having to fight the system just to get the tools to do the job Iā€™ve been asked to do as a volunteer, and 3) being attacked repeatedly by the very people who are supposed to be helping.

For example, in this very thread I was attacked for attempting to protect BSA from further law suits. Rather than try to learn about data privacy and understand my concerns, I was instead told how stupid I am for even suggesting such a thing.

In another thread I was told I was stupid for stating that CSV files, and excel specifically, are able to support 32K characters per column. I posted a sample CSV file that anyone could load to prove it worked and I was still told I was wrong and stupid.

Iā€™ve repeatedly offered to help with development, testing, etc. Iā€™ve been told over and over that ā€œwe donā€™t need your kind hereā€.

Again, Iā€™m sorry that you feel hurt by what I said. Iā€™m sorry that BSA is not interested in supporting and helping the volunteers who have to work with their systems and processes.

So what fanciful name should we call the abomination that the registrars and others have to use to input data?

And, on a related note, what is the ā€œsystem of recordā€, the ā€œsource of truthā€ for MBCs and other registration?

It clearly isnā€™t Scoutbook as Scoutbook says they import data from ā€¦ WAIT FOR IT ā€¦ ScoutNET!!!

Hey @edavignon, is the MBC management page in ScoutBook considered ā€œan obscure documentā€?

And, @Stephen_Hornak, these attacks by Ed over a silly name are a perfect example of why Iā€™m frustrated. Please feel free to call out Ed, who has a position of authority, for his attacks like you did me (just a volunteer).

Iā€™ll get the ScoutNET references removed from Scoutbook. Thank you for pointing them out.

The FAQ entry (linked from the MBC page) mentions ScoutNET a DOZEN TIMES.

Is that also ā€œan obscure documentā€? Just curious ā€¦

Feel free to apologize to us lowly volunteers for using the same term that the ā€œone true Scotsmanā€, ScoutBook, uses all over the place. Weā€™ll wait.

I have requested the FAQ be fixed too.

I believe we can agree that the web portal https://scoutnet.scouting.org/ to the old retired PASPROD database has been retired.

However I do not believe the current registered trademark and definition in the Language of Scouting glossary should be retired.

I do not consider the Language of Scouting, a BSAĀ® standard, to be obsolete. However it may be obscure (not well known) because many Scouters and parents of Scouts do not know about it.

2022-02-16-A

1 Like

So @edavignon, you still havenā€™t told us what fanciful name we should use for the ā€œsystem that shall not be namedā€.

What do you want us to call ScoutNET if not ScoutNET?

Thereā€™s lots more to do than that ā€¦

A search of scouting.org reveals 800+ pages that use ScoutNET

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ascouting.org+"scoutnet"

And a search of scoutbook.com reveals nearly 4 dozen pages that use ScoutNET

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ascoutbook.com+"scoutnet"

You know, itā€™s really too bad that non of our ā€œexpertsā€ in the BSA IT department or the SUAC brain trust thought to do a 0.36 search using google to find all the pages for their supposedly retired product. I wouldnā€™t worry though, Iā€™m sure they are all ā€œobscure documentsā€.

Still waiting on that apology for @Bill_W and I (but Iā€™m not holding my breath).

1 Like

ScoutNet appears to have been retired around a month ago. It seems like the timeline for catching the references in various documents is about par for the BSA. We had references to ā€œBoy Scoutsā€ still turning up in various documents as recently as last year. Still not ideal, of course, but Iā€™d rather the limited resources be spent as efficiently as possible.

The problem confronting the folks from SUAC is that the BSA officials are taking a position (BSA IDs are not PII) that contradicts the one youā€™re taking (BSA IDs are PII). SUAC can only convey the information theyā€™re given where it applies to BSA official positions. Theyā€™re not really the best target for legal arguments about data privacy, anyway. I donā€™t know what that target is anymore, but itā€™s clearly not SUAC. Maybe via your council Scout Exec, who might have their own legal counsel who could be brought in on the discussion?

I get that what youā€™re hitting can look like obstinacy, but from another perspective it can look like folks whose hands are tied and trying to do the best they can under the limitations with which they are faced.

2 Likes

Let me be more clear:

Re: ScoutNET
I understand that it may be retired. But, again, attacking people for using a term thatā€™s been used for years (decades?), was just recently retired, and while not offering any alternative for ā€œthe system that shall not be named ScoutNETā€ doesnā€™t really help. In fact, it kind of ticks people off (as you may have noticed). To then double down when shown proof that the term is used all over the place in official documents just adds insult to injury.

Re: data privacy
I understand and respect that position. Too bad no one said that (until now) and instead decided that attacking me (again) was the right answer.