Internet advancement

@ScottMarbut - IA has always had access to all ranks and awards even in the old system. May units ONLY use IA even in the scoutnet days.

I can not even log a hike for my son in Internet Advancement let alone take care of my Pack. Is there any work around?

1 Like

@ScottMarbut - when you log into my.scouting.org then check you profile what do you have as your positions ? Additionally, what do you see when you are in scoutbkook.scouting.org ?

Stephen,

The appropriate permissions is not the issue in this case. I am CC. I am also Assistant District Chair, and a Merritt Badge Councilor. Previously under scoutbook I had parents and den leaders to always trained to log their scouts conservation hours, miles hiked and, nights camped. I could then run a pack report, log into the Service Hours reporting site and log all the Pack Conservation hours. Easy. Example is Trash the Trash day where the challenge is to pick up so much trash with a buddy. Our unit will have a main event, but some families may participate remotely and post a picture of a bag of trash. It was easy for me to total the Packs conservation hours which flows into district, FEC Council, and on up. Now we have Zero, Nothing, Nada, Zilch since SOMEONE, decided to move these reports from scoutbook into IA which is the absolute worst software I have ever seen in my over 40 years of computing. IA is buggy, crashes, even gives out string errors, with no error code. The advice was right about a year ago do not use IA and scoutbook, but now our hand has been forced. The worst part is that now I have a chink against my integrity as I have to Simple wild as Guess the numbers, as I can not run any reports, or even log my sons hike. A hike should be extremely simple; where when, and how far. IA is asking for zipcodes, addresses and other irreverent information that does not work for FEC since IA is not coded properly it just crashes the entire computer. Why do we keep breaking things that are working properly? The bottom line is NO parent will ever go to a third database to log anything. scouting.org biggest and maybe only value is tracking training. District and higher know nothing of scoutbook, but for units and parents, it is a daily review to the health of the unit advancement. Flush IA it is horible.

1 Like

I am the advancement chair , and we are new to scout book and IA , so I am having to log one by one advancements ( hiking , service hours , camping ) that go back to 2014 , yes I can log a whole troop to a hike or what ever , but still each activity one by one . this taking forever and if you make a mistake put in wrong date , once you log it you can not delete it . But I am just doing what I can to get these guys their stuff ,
plus do you know unfinished merit badges have to be dated each section ,each number . it will take me days to add unfinished merit badges . I do not like this one bit .

1 Like

I, too, am unable to log either of my sons’ hiking (Scout & Cub Scout) in IA. I get insensible error messages. We hiked around our neighborhood. There is no “name”, but we tracked more than one mile each, picking up 7 lbs. of trash; and yet it can’t be logged in IA.

Logging in SB was MUCH simpler. Any assistance is appreciated.

1 Like

@DarcyStaley - so these instructions do not work for you:

@tammyfranks - is this what you are doing and did the prior logs not get imported ? They would have been imported as personal activities so that filter would need to be checked.

1 Like

Correct, those instructions were followed, required fields were completed, and I received this error: Error validating JSON…

Please note that clicking from my Cub Scout son’s Scoutbook “Activity Log” link loads IA w/ a “Error not found” message in IA, and loads into his brother, Samuel’s, IA page. Samuel crossed over this year into Scouts BSA.

I receive the same JSON error string clicking into IA from Samuel’s SB account.

1 Like

@DarcyStaley - your scoutbook roster matches the roster in my.scouting.org ? Your roles are good in my.scouting.org as well? I would trust that transfer from the pack to the troop was processed?

1 Like

Interesting question - I’m not actually sure what you mean by my SB “roster matches” or my “roles are good”; but when I login at my.scouting.org, and click either of my sons’ “Enter…profile”, I get an error, “Unable to access”.

Where should I go to resolve this?

*Please note, my son, Samuel, is correctly updated in Scoutbook to his new troop and his advancement is tracking, there.

My Scouting Org unable to access Sam or Isaac's profiles

@DarcyStaley - sorry for the delay. But for my profile in my.scouting.org I have this:
nymst_positions

And within the unit I have this:

functional

The unit roster in my.scouting.org can only be seen by a Key 3 or delegate. They need to make sure that the roster matches between scoutbook.com and scoutbook.scouting.org

1 Like

IA is still giving error strings even when I try to approve a scouts service hours. Time to flush IA and go back to scoutbook at least we could log and run reports. IA has us dead in the water we can not do anything. I will start an excel spread sheet and try and capture events this summer but we have taken a giant leap back ward IA is horrible.

BTW The mobile app was a great way to get my millennial scouting families to log their activities. Because of the switch to IA it now no longer works for us either, as it asks for State and AP is not available, so now the mobile app is bust for us. Please just give us the capability back to Scoutbook.

@ScottMarbut - could at least provide screen shots of the errors ? If you have then they are buried somewhere here.

Stephen,

I can recreate the error simply by trying approve one event such as service hours. I have tried every time over the last two weeks to capture the error which does not generate an error code but a string exactly like another user posted. By the time I open my screen capture the RED Error bar disappears my computer becomes unstable, and I need to reboot. I am running Windows 10 with the most recent fixes, and still get the error. Our pack logged over 350 service hours using scoutbook in Jan and Feb. We live on Okinawa, Japan, and now have zero COVID-19 cases. We are getting back to scouting. I tried to log two hikes for my son and a Camping event and again sudden and hard crashes with IA. I tried using the mobile app and now I can no longer add information due to asking what the state is and AP is not available. I have passed this massive issue to Far East Council through my District via the DE, DC, and District Chairman. I will not get on IA again until I can see a resolution on the message boards. Since I can no longer use scout book I have created an excel spread sheet and will log every thing there then upload the information to the JTE service hours reporting. I am sure the Atlantic Council probably has similar issues, so 2/3 of the American scouts around the globe can not log anything due to poor testing and roll out.

YIS,

@ScottMarbut is it possible to send screenshots when trying to add from the Scouting App? I don’t believe we are requiring the state be added. However, I am checking. Additionally, we will still add APO and other military base states to the list.

@ScottMarbut - I did check and we are not requiring state when submitting an activity log. Any other info or screenshots you can provide will sincerely help us work out any bugs.

Thank You! US Embassy and US Forces overseas still use the USPS complete with US zip codes usually based out of California and New York. Most US shipping companies have adapted and in 1997 I could easily order stuff from the USA but in recent years it has been problematic.

The format would be PSC ### Box ### APO (Area Pacific (City)) and AP (Area Post office). I will try again on the screen shots, tomorrow but it is 0134 5/12/02 here and I need to go to bed.

Non-USPS Addresses

Remember there are units and lone scouts overseas that do not have zip codes because they are not served by the US postal service.

US diplomatic and military addresses

• MPO (military post office) Acronyms
    • “APO” - Army/Air Post Office
    • “DPO” - Diplomatic Post Office
    • “FPO” - Fleet Post Office
  • USPS Military “State” Abbreviation
    • “AA” - Armed Forces Americas (except Canada)
    • “AE” - Armed Forces Europe, the Middle East, and Canada
    • “AP” - Armed Forces Pacific

Some References

Legacy discussion (login to read)

2 Likes

The app though many hour glasses longer can still log events. However it is extremely cumbersome, rife with errors that were never an issue until IA was introduced into the the triad, thus creating exponential errors across all the platforms due to inadequacies of design, or in simpler terms pulling data from multiple areas causes latency, crashes, and errors. Scouting Parents are now millennial and they expect service on their smart phone quickly. BSA needs to streamline its platforms both for efficiency but also for cost.

Like I stated previously my access until today was never in question. Today I can not even log into IA what a waste of time and effort by the designers, programmers, and developers, but a big salute to the fabricator who sold this horrible software to BSA, I am sure they have a ton of money now that units need to raise to pay the new National Rates Increases.