As a Merit Badge Counselor, I have access to the Quick Entry for Merit Badge Requirements screen. This would be extremely useful to use when working with a few at a time. I do not believe it is working correctly, so I have not tried to enter this way. Instead I enter the requirements individually and stay away from the quick entry.
When going to the report, I am seeing the following:
- First, I see the dropdown to choose a merit badge. Listed are the merit badges that I have been linked to scouts to work with. In this case, three: Camping, Cooking, and Pioneering.
- I select Camping.
- On the next screen, the camping requirements show up along with the proper merit badge image. However, the drop down under “Choose Merit Badge” shows Pioneering, and there are no scouts listed to choose. If I click on the dropdown, Pioneering is the only option available to me. But clicking on it does nothing.
If I repeat the process with a different merit badge (Pioneering), there are the following differences:
- All three merit badges from the start are listed in the drop down.
- Only one of the scouts i am working with show up. (This is likely related to another bug I reported regarding scouts in both a Troop and a Crew.
My take on this is the following:
- The initial dropdown is populated with merit badges I have worked with scouts on both now and in the past.
- The actual merit badge page, when pulling up a merit badge where all scouts have completed, the dropdown only includes those merit badges with scouts actively working on the badge.
- The actual merit badge page, when pulling up a merit badge where at least one scout (who is NOT a member of a Crew) is currently working on it, the dropdown includes all merit badges that I have worked with scouts on regardless if there are any actively working on it.
- The actual merit badge page, when pulling up a merit badge where at least one scout (who IS a member of a Crew) is currently working on it, the dropdown only includes those merit badges with scouts actively working on the badge. However, there additional quirks because while the scout IS actively working on the badge in the Troop, the scout is NOT working on it through the Crew. It does appear, however, that Crew membership, when it exists, is the only membership looked at when looking at advancement (unless navigating directly to the profile and switching to the troop - and only then until you navigate away from that page)
I do not know how the form data is processed, and if the value in the drop down is used to determine what merit badge is being signed off, but the inconsistencies make me uncomfortable using the tool. It has a lot of potential, but I can’t bring myself to use it just yet.