Multiple Council BSA #

I have an issue with multi cpuncil registration. How do i get myself to a leve that i can create a new topic

1 Like

@TaraGilman-Sheffield what is the issue?

I’ve been registered on 2 councils since March. Now all of a sudden I’m not on the roster in some of my units in my original council and can’t see my own kids in the family section. And not linked to any scouts in those units. It also shows my name twice now in those units one saying registered one with exclamation point. In my second and newer to me council i can see 2 units from other council and linked to scouts. Can see my kids in family section. And linked to unit thay is part of that council. Spoke to the new second council and i show as transfered instead of multi registration. Bottom line is i should be registered in 3 units in 1 council and linked to the scouts in those units. And registered in 1 unit in the second council and linked to scouts. And be able to toggle between councils like i previously doing from march until this past friday. Neither council knows what to do and doesn’t necessarily believe what the system says.

Well Scoutbook does not support 2 BSA MIDs (#s) - what are your BSA Numbers?

Is that new because it was fine before and several people said they toggle between both all the time. It seems the issue is i’ve been transferred all of a sudden to the new council which is why im not on the roster in the old council rather being left as multi position. Let me get you my numbers.

@TaraGilman-Sheffield it has never allowed more than one BSA # - for adults there are work arounds but it depends on a few things

Western mass council BSA# 12473674 (preferred primary council as all my training and complete history is there)

Heart of New England Council BSA# 140141486 (new council i registered in march)

My kids are in the correct councils and units.

@TaraGilman-Sheffield that is fixed - under my.scouting.org > Profile > Manage Member ID - keep the Primary the same and you should be good

It looks good nownon my end. Thank you so much for your help.

What is the process for registering an adult in one council as a multiple in a unit in another council. I’m not finding anything under the “help” which talks all about multiples within the same council. Thanks

that is a question for council @AnthonyMoreno

If the council and unit allow adult online applications, they can log into my.scouting.org and then go to beascout.scouting.org. Otherwise, it’s paper.

@AnthonyMoreno - be forewarned that the this will mess with their access to things in scoutbook as that only recognizes a singular BSA ID instance

Does that mean they can’t toggle between councils to see their information then?

They would need two scoutbook accounts, the one that is logged into is the one with the member number set to primary in manage member id in my.scouting.org. So, they could regularly flip that as needed.

How does one get two Scoutbook accounts then? Does putting in the application in the other council get you a Scoutbook account, but having just one BSA Member ID keep you together?

Would they show up in their second council as a multiple in the troop then?

Each council has their own unique set of member numbers. So, registration in a second council will generate a new number for that person. I assume there’s a reason for the multiple registration, and it’s not just for kicks. Of note, there’s no reason to register as an MBC in multiple councils because an MBC can work with any scout across the BSA. (Although it is usually easier to find the counselors in your own council). I’m not sure what will happen when it’s time for the member to renew. It should charge them one national fee and two council fees (if applicable in both councils and if neither council waives their council fee in that circumstance). I’ve not personally seen how this works in practice though.

For the scoutbook accounts, they may just have to register and see if what happpens. I don’t expect a new one to be created. I expect the member number on the existing one to change. But we can address it after the new member number is known.

@AnthonyMoreno There is a flag that we can set that I think will force a new scoutbook account to be created when they register. What is their current mid? (Wait for them to register until we get that set)

In this situation the leader is registered in one council (where he lives) went to register as a leader (ASM) in the neighboring council (because his grandson joined a troop) and all was going well until it asked he pay a fee. I thought the system would recognize he is already registered and paid and would not charge him a fee based on his BSA Member ID. Am I missing a step?

@AnthonyMoreno

Each council has its own set of BSA Member IDs (MID) and they have very limited visibility to other council’s MIDs. This is a situation where he needs to contact the Council for assistance.