Out of Council MBCs

I’m the Advancement Chair for our Troop and I used to be able to look up any MBC in Scoutbook but now it seems that I can only see the ones that are in my Council. Is that something new or am I doing something wrong? (Yes I checked the box to include out of council).

How can I verify that a MBC that signed a blue card is really an approved MBC (out of council)?
Thanks!

Well it leads to a few questions? Are the Scouts having the initial conversation with the Scoutmaster to find the MBCs? If they are and SM Assigned them, then the GTA basically says even if the MBC is not for that badge, since the Unit leader thought they were and told the scout such, you cannot hold it against scout.

MBCs can only be found in Scoutbook if they want to be found - they can limit to unit(s), District, Council or worldwide.

1 Like

“A Scout is Trustworthy”

If the Scout gives you a signed Blue Card, why are you doubting the integrity of the Scout?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. No they are not having the initial conversation, they are just going and finding the MBC on their own and then show up with a signed Blue card. Yes I realize that’s the fundamental issue but we can’t seem to stop it.

I’m not doubting the integrity of the Scout. Unfortunately I’m doubting the integrity of the adult based on a prior experience.

@AgataSteenken I would have the Unit Leader / Scoutmaster have a few Scoutmaster minutes and discussions in SM Conferences for a few months. If that does not solve it then they need to take a stand if the initial conversation is not happening, and deny work.

1 Like

I’m sorry but denying work seems harsh and it certainly does not help my current situation. I can’t find anything stating that the initial conversation is required and Scoutbook certainly doesn’t force it.

Look at 7.0.0.3 - If you are an Advancement Chair or Unit leader you should read the entire document as it applies to your level of scouting

1 Like

Thanks again and I have reviewed the doc in detail prior to posting this message and noted that on p. 47 it has a recommended process (not required). Again, I’m not looking to argue the process, I simply reached out for help with a current situation. I used to be able to see MBCs out of council and now I can’t so something has changed in the system. That’s the point of my message.

Are you saying you aren’t seeing any counselors from other councils? You should be able to. To test this, try typing in a zip code from across the country and limit the search to 50 miles. My guess is the individual you are looking for doesn’t have their settings such that they can be searched… or maybe they aren’t actually registered.

2 Likes

Try going through a Scout’s “[Scout]'s Connections” screen and search based on “Include MBC Only”.

1 Like

In MB Counselor Search you will only see Counselors from other Councils if they have set their listing preference to Worldwide. This is completely under the control of the MBC.

2 Likes

IF the MBC has ever logged into SB - which is the other issue

2 Likes

The recourse if you believe an MBC is not fulfilling the duties is to contact the Council where the MBC is registered. The Council Advancement Committee is responsible for ensuring the quality of MBCs.

If a registered MBC signs off on a blue card, there are very limited reasons why the Scout can be denied the MB and these are basically where it was impossible to earn. For example, the requirement says “for 4 months…” but the Scout has only been registered for 2 months. The Guide to Advancement explains this as well.

1 Like

Thank you! I ended up finding some for other zip codes so it does look like I can see OOC MBCs just not the two I’m looking for. So maybe it’s their desire to not be found or maybe they are not actually registered. Last time this happened, the person that signed off was not an actual registered MBC. I’ll call the other council and see what I can find out.

1 Like

Guide to Advancement section 7.0.4.6 deals with a Scout who has had a Merit Badge signed off by someone who is not a registered MBC.

If the Scout in good faith thought the individual was a registered MBC for the MB, it is still earned and cannot be taken away.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.